Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Cracked Screw in Lug Casing

I've been working a Slingy project and while removing some lugs from one of my shells a few of the screws "snapped" and are partially lodged in the lug casings. Regardless of what I've tried, I can't get them out. Any ideas?

Posted on 12 years ago

Here's a couple pics of what I'm talking about.

2 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

From OldSchool

I've been working a Slingy project and while removing some lugs from one of my shells a few of the screws "snapped" and are partially lodged in the lug casings. Regardless of what I've tried, I can't get them out. Any ideas?

I've run into the same thing many times. Sometimes I end up getting them out, sometimes I just scream. What I've found is that it was probably cross-threaded from the beginning, or at least at some point in time it was reinstalled and then cross-threaded. A real bummer.

Anyway, a couple of ideas:

1) try getting a little WD40 down the "shaft" then vice-grips on the nub that's sticking up (and try not to get the WD40 on the nub).

2) cut the nub off flush, then try drilling it out with a slightly smaller drill bit (vs. the size of the screw).

Like I said, sometimes I get 'em out, sometimes not.

Good luck!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

OldSchool!...

Try NOT to use vice grips as they almost always crush/bugger up what's left and sticking out. In deference to billnvick, it can work of course!, but I have found this method to always work for me:

Because you have some of the screw sticking up, take a Dremel tool with a cut off wheel and cut into the screw making a "slot" which will resemble a standard screw head which can now be backed out just like a normal screw. A regular screwdriver will do the trick. WD40 AFTER you cut the slot would certainly help in this instance too as billnvick mentioned... especially if the screw is indeed cross-threaded. This method has worked for me every single time given your situation here.

Tommyp

Posted on 12 years ago

Instead of WD40, try some Liquid Wrench. I like both extraction methods. Maybe try the screwdriver attack first. If that doesn't do it, then cut flush and drill.

That sucks, by the way. I was nervous with the Gretsch kit I just finished. Happily, all the hardware was sound.

Good luck.

B

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 12 years ago

TommyP,

Hey, I like your Dremmel idea... I hadn't thought of that! DOH

The funny thing about that is that I have a Dremmel and would have used it to cut the nub off flush...

Another good reason I like this forum!! Walking

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

You can buy a tool at an auto parts store called a screw extractor. It has a set of reverse threads and comes in different sizes.What you do is drill a tiny hole right in the center of the broken off nub about a quarter of an inch deep, and then use the tool in the hole you just drilled to twist it out. You can even buy a threading tap to restore the original threads back to true. This works fine, but it would still be cheaper to just buy a straight ahead replacement part. Go for it! You can do it.

Glen

Posted on 12 years ago

From EZduzzit

You can buy a tool at an auto parts store called a screw extractor. It has a set of reverse threads and comes in different sizes.What you do is drill a tiny hole right in the center of the broken off nub about a quarter of an inch deep, and then use the tool in the hole you just drilled to twist it out. You can even buy a threading tap to restore the original threads back to true. This works fine, but it would still be cheaper to just buy a straight ahead replacement part. Go for it! You can do it.Glen

Isn't that bit also called an easy out? At least that's what my dad called it.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 12 years ago

From leedybdp

Isn't that bit also called an easy out? At least that's what my dad called it.

Yup _ and a very good example of something that is tremendously

Mis-Named _ using those things are a real pain in the butt _ even when they work _ and would hardly be 'easy' in a situation like this.

I realize you weren't exactly endorsing the idea _ leedybdp _ rather just throwing the name out.

I like the Dremel idea much better.

Ohm

Posted on 12 years ago

Hey guys. When my first Rogers beavertail lugs would strip out. I would throw them away. I know, I was young. Bad idea.

Then I learned about re-tapping the stripped hole and going to the next size up screw. 8/32 would go to 10/24. 10/24 grips better than 10/32.

For a snapped off screw. Drill a center hole in end of broken off screw. I know it is hard to get the center hole started. (Drill press?) Start really small like 1/16. Gradually go bigger with the bit size until it is the size for the new tapping/threading bit. Taps like to go in 3 turns then back out to get the metal shavings off. Tapping oil is recommended.

I still re-tap my old Rogers lugs when they finally go.

Machine Shop Drumming

Thanks SA

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here