Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Cracked B/B lugs

Hey everyone,

I have a 1961 (or 1962?) Dynasonic, #211X, with the old B/B lugs. As expected, a few of the lugs have the usual hairline cracks. The drum, otherwise, is in good shape. I've never take it on a gig, but I'm about to audition for a Neil Young cover band, it seems like this drum would be the best for it. If not, I suppose I'll use a 6.5x14 maple Legend. The question is whether or not I need to worry about using the Dynasonic with the cracked lugs. Is it ok to have tension on them? Or will I cause further problems?

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]They WILL crack further...they aren't very stable anymore. If you tension your snare above medium-tension (most folks do) you may have some problems.

basically, you have 2 choices on rectifying this.

1) Jim Petty's JP2 Creations.com steel repro lugs, which are hecka expen$ive and take a LONG time to receive (several months)...or...

2) Cracked B & B's can be repaired using a reinforcing compound on the inside of them.

I will PM you with that info.

So, I guess I'd ask...can you use a different drum for the audition, for now ????[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here