Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Crack on inner ply - Rogers 14" floor

Hello! I recently picked this up on ebay but wasn't aware of a crack on what appears to be just the inner ply. Is this repairable? Is it an easy repair? How much does it devalue the drum? Thanks!!

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago
Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 8 years ago

The first question would be whether or not there has been any effect on the sound of the drum? Then, has there been any change in the shape that might slowly lead to an effect on the sound. I suggest checking that the drum is still in round. Then measure the top and bottom diameter. Finally, measure the diameter at the point of the drum where the crack is. If they are all the same and the sound of the drum has not been impacted - buzzing of a loose ply or something of the sort, then I would leave it as it is.

As to value, assuming the sound is not affected, then it is aesthetic and the largest impact would then be on resale if it was a concern to a new owner. So you might want to return to the seller and ask why they didn't disclose the condition and ask either to return it or for some mutually acceptable adjustment in price.

Posted on 8 years ago

Didn't Rogers use a couple sheets of interior ply sometimes on shells? Since they were painted and all. I could swear my Jasper shells are like this on a tom or 2. I have coated heads top and bottom so can't look easily at them. Your pic looks more like that then just a crack. Is it even and parallel around the shell?

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 8 years ago

Interesting,but I would call that a delamination or a manufacturing flaw,it looks like you have two pieces of wood and a seam,rather than a crack,I have seen quite a few Rogers and Ludwig drums where the wrap was removed and you can see where the outer ply/plies was two or even three pieces,and you could see the horizontal seam/seams,

and a lot of times you could see a separation at the seam where the two pieces were not flush.I have not inspected the inside of a lot of drums like others on these forums but I do not remember seeing horizontal seam like that on the inside of a drum whether it was painted or bare wood,but companies sent out drums with seams like that even with slight separations they just happened to covered by a wrap.It looks like your drum

could have come from the factory that way,or that it could have pulled away over time.

Rogers QC was quite good,but not perfect,I have a 1966 kit with original edges and the ride tom and BD have a serious dip in the bearing edge,so they did not catch everything.

I am no expert on drum repair but that separation is so small it looks like all you all tou could really do is fill it with putty and touch it up with paint.Like a previous poster said,if the drum is structurally sound and there is no effect on the sound I would leave it alone.

I have no idea on how that would affect resale value,I selling the drum /kit I would disclose the flaw and if a buyer had an issue I would shave a few bucks and make the sale or just wait for a buyer who was not concerned.

Posted on 8 years ago

I had some of the same initial thoughts that Glenn and eamesuser had, but was looking carefully at the wood and seeing that a mark in the grain had carried over from one side of the opening to the other, and also that at least one bolt for the knobby mount was centered on the opening. So I think it probably is a bit of shrinkage in a single ply of wood and it could have been initiated when the shell was originally drilled for the bolt. It would be easier to tell if we had more pictures of the entire interior showing the full extent of the opening.

I've uploaded a crop to illustrate what I've mentioned above. Maybe some of the expert woodworkers among - jccabinets?? - can discern it.

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Not able to tell from the picture, but does it have gray paint in the crack? If so, then it came from the factory that way and no issue.

Posted on 8 years ago

Now there is a savvy comment

Posted on 8 years ago

From amosguy

Not able to tell from the picture, but does it have gray paint in the crack? If so, then it came from the factory that way and no issue.

Or..... this is two 14" tom shells someone pieced together to make a 14x14 then repainted gray. Is the wrap, badge, and grommet all original? If this drum looks like it's been rewrapped, this could possibly be a 14x14 built from two 10x14 Rogers shells. So just out of curiosity, is this "crack" perfectly straight all around the inner circumference and 10" below the upper bearing edge?

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for all of the replies guys. I have decided to send it back to the seller, as they aren't willing to move on price.

Oh and it definitely is not a rewrap. All original, just has the crack and split at rering. Hardware is in mediocre shape as well. I'd keep this for maybe $700 but oh well. Thanks again!

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here