Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Crack in reinforcement ring

Is this a job for a professional? Or could a tool savy guy handle it? Should it be fixed ASAP or issue it something less urgent? The crack is 3 inches long.

http://i43.tinypic.com/34xnm9d.jpg

Posted on 15 years ago

A tool savvy dude could definitely handle it and it is not urgent, probably been that way for a long time.

Posted on 15 years ago

Can anyone give me a run-down on the tools and glue I should use for this repair? I know I'll need some small clamps.

Posted on 15 years ago

The clamps wil be the only tools you should need. I would use Gorilla glue which needs moisture for it to activate. Take a damp sponge or cloth and go over the seperation. Work the glue in the crack with a pin or real thin putty knife. Use a thin piece of wood between the clamps and the shell. I like to use a thin strip that bends around the shell( inside and out ), that way I am not fumbling around with small pieces on each clamp. Good luck.

Posted on 15 years ago

Gorilla glue expands too, so be carefu. I would recommend any wood glue and if possible, use a hypodermic to inject the glue in the cracks and then clamp. I also recommend if you have it, pieces of an old drum with the circumference similar to the drum you are using to keep the repair in the same formation when clamping.

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

The crack is really more like a hair-line fracture. It would be tough to get anything in the crack expect a needle. I don't be able to wet it or sand the old glue off. The crack is too narrow. I will try the wood glue and needle.

Posted on 15 years ago

I have also used a high grade wood filler such as MINWAX wood filler. It's a two part filler and works very well, sands smooth. Stay away from water based fillers IMHO.

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

I am having the exact same issue with a 9x13 slingerland tom, only worse. The crack runs about half the circumference of the drum on batter and resonate sides.

Unfortunately, it is separated enough that under tension with a head tightened on the drum is going out of round.

I am curious to see how your project turned out.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here