Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Crack in inner floor tom ply. Glue?

Hi all,

I have a 16" floor tom that has a crack in the inner ply or two plies.

It's about 10" long, vertical, and running throught one of the inner plates of the floor tom brackets. It runs all the way to the bearing edge.

How can I glue this? I think regular wood glue is too thick to get inside the crack. could I warm the glue bottle in some hot water to make it more fluid?

Or should I mix it with some water?

Anyone have experience in this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Posted on 15 years ago

Post a pic.

Are you sure this is not a seam?

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

Can't post a pic until this weekend.

And yes, i'm sure it's not a seam. The seam is on the opposite side and is straight with a slight angle. This one is not straigt, does not stretch the whole depth of the shell and is two plies deep at the bearing edge. (it's an 8-ply maple floor tom).

It really is a crack...Seems like a floor tom leg got a smack and the shell cracked on the inside at the bracket...

I made a drawing of the problem:

[IMG]http://www.student.tue.nl/q/j.h.j.willemsen/drumforum/floortomcrack.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.student.tue.nl/q/j.h.j.willemsen/drumforum/floortomcrack2.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 15 years ago

Can anyone help me?

Posted on 15 years ago

Possibly. But not without some pictures. I get the general idea from your drawing, but I'll await pictures. It might be a repair that's beyond my ability. Pictures are essential.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Pictures:

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

So, how to glue this? Wood glue? Won't be fluid enough I guess... Warm it up? Mix with water?

Posted on 15 years ago

Do you have any clamps? For any glue to be affective you have to apply pressure, otherwise it would be the same as using wood filler. As for glue I would use "Gorilla Glue" brand, it has some gap filling properties. You would take a damp rag and go over the cracked area, that activates the glue. Force it into the crack with a thin putty knife being careful not to displace any wood from inside the crack, that would impair the shell from going back as close to its original state. I would sandwich the crack between two pieces of wood , one on the inside and one on the outside, and clamp. Use wax paper to cover the inside piece of wood so it doesn't stick to the inside of the shell. Before you go through all this work you should try clamping the crack together without glue to see if it would go back at all. I would also run some blue painters tape as close to the crack as possible. The glue foams when activated and that would make cleaning off the excess glue a lot easier.

Good luck

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here