Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

Cover holes in Ludwig drum wrap

Hi,

I'm thinking buying and restoring a Ludwig -65 WMP set, with some holes drilled in the bass drum. I'm on a budget so the best would be if I don't have to recover the drums completley.

Have anyone tried to cover those small holes (from screws holding mounts etc) with a round "piece of wood" and just small "discs" of WMP inlay? Would that work? Any tips, ideas and maybe images of the result are highly appriciated!

Note that I'm not a collector, I just want a playable vintage kit which looks great...

Thanx!

//Pontus, Sweden

Posted on 19 years ago

Yes, it can be done, but it really depends on the size of the holes and how many. Please let us know that and then I think we can answer the question better.

The process involves cutting a section of wrap from underneath one of the lugs and using that to fill the holes.

Others just find it easier to use a chrome round head bolt and putting that in the hole with a nut, washer and lock washer. This depends on what mount was used and the location of the mount that originally belonged on the drum.

Also a pictue would help in determining the best course of action.

David

Posted on 19 years ago

Here are som pictures from a thread in another forum... http://www.mikedolbear.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13305.

I'm thinking of replace the "generic" tom holder stuff with a ludwig original, since there is a big hole drilled there. Maybe I'll use some bolts to cover the four holes from the original rail consolette and then try to cover the other holes with some wood plugs and small round patches of finish wrap. How thick is the original Ludwig wrap from the mid 60:s? Is it easy just to cut out a small piece from under the lugs.

The spurs are not original either, but it's hard to tell if there are more holes to cover up (looks like tama spurs or something).

What do you make out of this?

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here