Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Could this be a Hayman steel snare drum?

Guys, need some big help. Have just got my hands on a snare drum. 14" x 6" seems all very normal. Untill you look at the badge... HAYMAN VIBRASONIC DRUMS and in small print at the bottom of the badge HAYMAN DRUMS, LONDON, ENGLAND. In ever Hayman picture I have ever seen I have never seen a steel snare drum. The snare strainer has a HAYMAN logo on it and the lug holders are the Hayman type (DW looking) style. The only thing that doesn't match my wooden (definatly real) Hayman snare is the internal muffling - which on the wooden type of snare is a lever - but on this steel snare its a knob.

Does anyone have any ideas what or if this is Hayman and when it would of been made. Any info would be brilliant.

Pictures are here... http://photobucket.com/garethlloyd

Thank you.

Gareth.

Posted on 14 years ago

I do not think this is an original series drum.I think it is the later reissue Hayman drum.The butt plate and rims look Taiwan made.

Posted on 14 years ago

Well, I have a scan of a Hayman catalogue from the 70's (I think, it's not dated) which shows a chrome snare drum. Looks like it's a 5" and not 6" like yours, but at least it shows that they did make a steel snare.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Where did you find that picture from?

Mine has two beads running around ti not just the one in the picture - but everything else is spot on...

The mystery thickens...

Posted on 14 years ago

It's a cutout from a complete scan of a catalogue that I have. If you PM me your email address I'd be more than happy to send it to you.

Posted on 14 years ago
Posted on 14 years ago

The photos show what must be the oriental remake of a Hayman metal snare. For 15 years or so, Hayman style lugs have been manufactured in the Orient and sold in the US by Cosmic Percussion and other distributors as spare parts and on imported drums.

Also, the Hayman brand was revived with kits manufactured in the Far East, but I have not seen any of these products.

I own an original Hayman Metasonic snare. Here's a picture of the the same drum shown on Vintage Drum Center's site.

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

The original hayman metasonic snare drum was 14x5. It had 10 lugs was chrome over aluminium. Slotted tension rods. Baseball bat damper. This was the only configuration they made on this snare drum. Produced 1972 and had a silver hayman badge. The centre bead was a flat type. Not many around nor were there many produced and highly collectable. The snare on this thread is some type of re production of poor quality. Hayman never produced any type of steel shell. I will post pics of mine which im lucky to own. Maybe we can see other owners pics of the rare hayman metasonic snare drum. The wooden shell was mass produced from start to finish of hayman 68-75. The metasonic was a limited issue.

Posted on 5 years ago

Hello, To me this drum is a MIT copy why the butt plate is wrong mit, the muffler is also wrong mit. Rims T-rods are wrong the lugs are not hayman lugs these are copys MIT the lugs are the ones copys that me and my friends used back in the 90s when we started OCDP..

mikey777

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here