Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Correct Spray Paint for Ludwig Acrolite?

Hello Friends,

I have an Acrolite that is need of a re-paint. It's a player's snare that I plan on using and gigging, so I'm not concerned with originality or modification decreasing the value.

I have touched up an Acrolite before with Krylon I believe, but I can't remember the exact "Flavor" if you will. Any suggestions? The Acrolite is a B/O 70's model.

Thanks,

V

Posted on 7 years ago

Get a good, clear catalog photo and have the paint store color match it. Because it's a grey color they'll be matching tone more than color.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

Personally I 'd take it to a metal polishing place and strip the paint.

Aluminum polishes up quite nicely,it does not hold a coat of paint very well.

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, gents. I was just asking if anyone knew off the top of their head what to use.

I re-spray painted a badly scratched Acrolite in the past. It came out great and I still have it. After several thin coats, I used 000 Steel Wool to smooth it down and it came out looking (and feeling) factory new. I just can't remember the kind or brand of spray paint I used, but it was an exact match to the original finish (at least of that drum, anyway).

If I stand in the aisle at the hardware store long enough, I'll remember it (hopefully)!

V

Posted on 7 years ago

Krylon makes high quality spray paints. Check out their swatches.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

From pgm554

Personally I 'd take it to a metal polishing place and strip the paint.Aluminum polishes up quite nicely,it does not hold a coat of paint very well.

I am surrounded by many products at the moment that are made of aluminum, with painted surfaces. Specifically I am referring to every piece of rackmounted hardware in my home recording studio.

Every day I see automobile wheels, airplanes, countless things made of aluminum, with paint on it. Paint sticks to aluminum just fine.

It needs some "tooth" of course, it won't stick to shiny aluminum any better than it will stick to shiny anything, but the OP is painting an aluminum drum that already had paint on it.

-Erik
______
Early '70's Slingerland New Rock #50 in blue agate (20-16-13-12)
Late '50's WFL Swingster/Barrett Deems in black/gold Duco
'70's Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB
'76 Ludwig Supraphonic
early '70's Ludwig Acrolite
'80's Ludwig Rocker II 6 1/2" snare
Rogers Supreme Big "R" hi hat
Posted on 7 years ago

From vyacheslav

I just can't remember the kind or brand of spray paint I used, but it was an exact match to the original finish (at least of that drum, anyway).If I stand in the aisle at the hardware store long enough, I'll remember it (hopefully)!

Good luck! I hope that Ludwig used an off-the-shelf color for their drum.

When you do, please post on here and let us know what brand and color it is. I have a stripped Supraphonic that I may want to paint in the Acrolite finish.

-Erik
______
Early '70's Slingerland New Rock #50 in blue agate (20-16-13-12)
Late '50's WFL Swingster/Barrett Deems in black/gold Duco
'70's Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King COB
'76 Ludwig Supraphonic
early '70's Ludwig Acrolite
'80's Ludwig Rocker II 6 1/2" snare
Rogers Supreme Big "R" hi hat
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here