Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Correct Snare Wires For a 33 Year Old Yamaha Snare

I've got a Yamaha steel snare that came with the first kit I got back when I was 12. It's an SD-765MA. It has black plastic brackets on either side that allow the snare wires to extend past the edge of the shell. At some point I must have swapped out the original wires for some that fit a normal 14" snare and I would like to go back to something that is correct for the drum.

I've searched the web and found a few discussions about this issue. This type of snare setup was used for several years on Yamaha's intermediate to expert level snares (including the Recording Custom series.) It seems several people have chosen to use wires made for the old style Pearl Free Floater snares. I've seen a couple pictures of this setup and it appears that the wires are so long that the end caps for the wires end up slightly on top of the black plastic brackets. This seems like it would prevent optimal snare response. Unfortunately, I no longer have the original wires to take measurements from so I've measured the drum and guessed at the optimal length for the wires. I've included pics of those measurements.

I'd imagine my drum isn't that well known but since the Recording Custom snares from the 80's use the same setup I was hoping someone may have one in original condition and could give me the actual measurement of the wires. Or, better yet, someone may have a source for correct replacement snares for this setup.

Thanks.

Posted on 7 years ago

This is like my current setup.

1 attachments
35.2 kB
Posted on 7 years ago

This shows someone using the Pearl snares that extend onto the bracket.

1 attachments
130.1 kB
Posted on 7 years ago

Hi cericd!

I had this same issue many years ago with a Slingerland TDR snare drum I purchased from eBay. Just couldn't obtain correct length wires! I eventually found a generic set from Gibraltar, which I believe were the SC-4467L wires. I had to use care to get the wires properly centered past the shell on each side, but after that, they worked very well for the TDR. These wires are still available, so just do an internet search for SC-4467L. Hope this helps!

-Mark

4 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

Hi idrum4fun,

that's a beautiful snare! I ran across those Gibraltar snares online but I couldn't find any actual measurements. I contacted a seller on ebay about the length but haven't heard back. Thanks for the response.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here