Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

cool little trick to shine up chrome

this may have already been adressed in another thread so forgive me if i'm repeating the same info but i learned a really cool trick to shine up chrome hoops and my supraphonic snare. take some tin foil (aluminum foil) and ball it up, wet it and scrub the rusted or pitted areas. worked like a charm and some of these hoops were pretty bad.

just thought i would pass it along

Posted on 10 years ago

Yes I have heard that, but I thought you soaked the foil in Coke or something. Never tried this, it would be cool to see some before and after pics.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

the acid in the coke may give it more "bite" so that may work better (i've cleaned concrete with coke) worked good for me with just water though..

Posted on 10 years ago

Dang! I'd forgotten about that..oh well, next kit.

1964 Ludwig Champagne Super Classic
1970 Ludwig Blue Oyster Super Classic
1977 Rogers Big R Londoner 5 ebony
1972/1978 Rogers Powertone/Big R mix ebony
60's Ludwig Supersensitive
Pearl B4514 COB snare ( the SC snare)
Pearl Firecracker
PJL WMP maple snare
Odds & Sods

Sabians, Paistes, Zildjians, Zyns, UFIPs, MIJs etc
Item may be subject to change!
Posted on 10 years ago

I recently did a major restoration on an entire set that included a variety of corroded and pitted parts, both chrome and nickel. I tried the coke + tin foil method on a few parts, and it did a fair job. But what really worked a LOT better was letting the parts sit in cider vinegar for a few hours. That made everything look pretty much like new, was a lot less messy, required no elbow grease, and was cheaper and simpler. If you use the cider vinegar method, it is advisable to follow it with a bath in baking soda to nullify any residual acidity.

Posted on 10 years ago

good to know. i still have a lot of hardware and small parts to clean for my newest kit, i think i'll try this method for those and compare outcomes. thanks for the tip!

Posted on 10 years ago

the vinager soak worked really great! thanks for that tip hardbat

Posted on 10 years ago

That's great! What really sold me was what it did for my old Gretsch mufflers. Those things get to looking so corroded I wondered if there was any metal left under all that rust. The vinegar shined them up so amazingly, I didn't even know that little cylinder piece was actually brass. Made them look shiny new. Also the screws holding in the lug casings - the drum interior looks so much more classier with shiny new-looking screws. Just dropped them in a jar of vinegar for a couple of hours, then transfered them to a jar of baking soda and water. Tried the same with coke and it didn't do much of anything.

Posted on 10 years ago

yeah there were a few pieces that i said "this will never come clean" but after a two hour soak the rust just wiped right off. makes me want to find another old rusty set and restore it. i'm also gonna soak some chrome parts off of my 79 ford and see how that works. thanks again.

Posted on 10 years ago

I tried the foil and water trick last night, it worked great!

1960s Ralston (Star) set in Red Agate Pearl 12/12/16/20
1961 Ludwig Cocktail Lounge drum 24 x 16 in blue sparkle
1966 Ludwig Hollywoods in Sky Blue Pearl 12/13/16/22
1971 Ludwig Super Classics in Blue Sparkle 13/16/22
1976 Ludwig Vistalites in Blue 13/14/16/22
70s/80s Ludwig orphans in Black Cortex "Bonham" style 14/16/18/20/26 (B/O Badges)

Many snares
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here