Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Converting a 16x18 Gretsch floor tom to a bass drum

Hi all,

Sorry if there is a thread on this I looked for and missed!

Is there anyone out there with tips, tricks and experience with converting a 16x18 Gretsch floor tom to a bass drum? Any floor drum to bass drum really, but my mission is to create an authentic bop bass drum, and to that end I'm also looking at cutting this down to 14x18. (depth x diameter). I have a 14x14 and an 8x12 and I'm putting together a Gretsch Bop Kit.

If I cut, I'm NOT cutting this down myself, I'm calling the Drum Doctor here in beautiful Toronto for that.

I know all the arguments about preserving a drum for what it is, but my days of needing an 18 floor tom are gone and it's pretty much guaranteed this drum will be played by someone after I'm gone, as long as this crazy world keeps on turning.

All feedback welcome!

5 attachments
99.4 kB
94.3 kB
95.4 kB
99.5 kB
119.6 kB
Muchas gracias - El Stinko
Posted on 5 years ago

And here are some more pics

2 attachments
121.2 kB
90.2 kB
Posted on 5 years ago

Converting a Gretsch (real) Floor tom to bass takes about 25 minutes to turn it into a full-fledged legitimate bass. 20-20 minutes with a few parts. Any longer than that and somewhere along you are making a "mistake" ; )

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 5 years ago

Hahahaha! That's beautiful Joe! I miss you man :)

Posted on 5 years ago

Ok. 16 x 18 floor right? 10 lugs per side right? Ok. You're gonna need.

20 tee rods and claws. i prefer actual gretsch (60s style) ones (myself)

2- 18" wood hoops. Good luck on finding 'happy'ones; nice smooth well built factory looking.. blonde quick clear coat later-or not is fine..

here's your Final step. Within 5 minutes you are going to be sitting behind and getting into the sound (of an 18" bass drum you created ready?

Two Lp cowbell holders part number I believe 338

Identical to these look

https://www.guitarcenter.com/LP/Bass-Drum-Cowbell-Holder-1274034483798.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKCAjw1_PqBRBIEiwA71rmtX36ZMOWC9pjz7lvmMenh6beM7kNy6eU5fOSMuy7hu-8RNc1R_400RoCd8oQAvD_BwE

You can attach rubber tubing and black rubber tips later.. Attach these on the front resonant wood hoop. Angle down to heart's delight. Up High low in between. Rock Solid.

You're done.

Attach pedal sit down behind drums Hit.

You just saved yourself 1300$.

Posted on 5 years ago

post-creation details.

Can consider replacing two "t's" by bass pedal bracket with (2) "keyrods"..

You can look at the position of the (previous used) floor leg brackets and decide---- where you want those positioned; near the front, near the back, which turn of the drum to position a Bracket for: Cymbal arm. Cowbell attachment L. etc..)

Tom tom heads work fine. Need the 1/2 t shirt towel between pedal Uprights. that's about......it

Posted on 5 years ago

Boom boom boom, love it Joe, thanks so much. You mean 1/2 shirt towel like I was just doing on my current bop kit not 5 minutes ago? That's real "downtown", man!

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

50s WFL brushes for extra juju points

Posted on 5 years ago

yep.

[img]http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=127076&d=1566432205[/img]

20 minutes

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

That is baddass, I love those spurs. Best idea ever.

Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here