Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

Cocktail Drum Sets

It's been a while since I've seen a discussion on our cocktail drum sets. Notice...I assiduously avoid using the term "kit" for a drum set. Several years ago, I acquired a two-piece Gretsch Sky Blue Pearl cocktail drum set. Aside from the appeal of the drums, I was attracted by the logo of the drum shop attached to the drum shells. Brockstein's Music in Houston was owned by Herb Brochstein. Herb changed the spelling of his last name to help people pronounce the name correctly. Herb sold his personal Gretsch set complete with unshaved calf skin head to D.J. Fontana for playing in Elvis Presley's band. Herb also started a little drumstick factory in his store--Promark. But, let's get to the cocktail drum set.

The drums are probably from the early to mid 1950s. The large single-headed drum had several extra holes in the shell. So, I felt no guilt in adding the necessary holes to mount a bottom head. The bottom of the drum had a wooden hoop for finish trim. That hoop works perfectly for the bottom head hoop. The 8" bongo tom was in perfect condition. The half-strand fan of snares under the top head sounds lame for snare drum use. I left it there but don't use the snare function. I bought a cheap no-name popcorn snare online. A drum forum friend said that he had just stripped matching wrap off of an old bass drum. He sent a large scrap of it to me. There was enough wrap to cover the little snare drum. It is a perfect match. I mounted the little snare drum, a cow bell, and two cymbals to the cocktail drum shell for a very compact and very complete little drum set.

I have a few vintage bass drum peddles with reversible cams for cocktail drum application. But i didn't have a mounting bracket for any of the older Gretsch, Slingerland, Leedy, or Camco pedals. Then, i saw a listing online for a new Gibralter pedal with the bracket for $99. Bingo! It works beautifully. The bracket will accommodate any pedal. But the Gibralter pedal works just fine. Did I mention that the large drum measures 24" in height? That drum size on legs with the pedal under it are a great height for me to play the drums seated on my favorite drum throne--a custom-made Jim Petty canister throne wrapped in Bermuda Sand. I can use a hi-hat with the drums when sitting down.

What about your cocktail drum sets?

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 1 year ago

You’ve got a beaut, there, Leedy. I have shied away from Cocktail Sets because just the thought of standing behind a cocktail set and working the pedals hurts my back. Glad you found a way to sit and play it. And in a great finish, too!

I also get nostalgic about old school nameplates, so I can relate.

Josh

Posted on 1 year ago

I'm a short guy with short legs. If the top of the drum was even a couple of inches higher, I could not sit to play the set. Standing up to play is very uncomfortable for me.

Posted on 1 year ago

I always wanted one when I was gigging. I couldn't find one. I was going to put one of my own together, but the options for pedals was too limited. I always liked the concept. When I was young, I needed big powerful drums for rock and pop cover band stuff. Later when I started doing jazz gigs, I just wanted something easy to set up and move round. One of those kits would have been the shiz for me...but wasn't meant to be.

BTW...No one cares, but a "kit" in regards to drums, is ALWAYS used as a noun -whereas "set" can be a verb. You can set up a drum kit, but you can't kit up a drum set.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 1 year ago

I have a vintage Star cocktail drum which I had re-wrapped in turquoise sparkle to match the rest of my kit. I don't use the foot pedal and the "snares" are flipped off. I use the monster as a second floor tom and it booms out like a cannon! It's not for every song of course, but when I do use it, it makes its presence known!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 1 year ago

*stopping by to visit*

Did I sell you that set? If so, then I'm happy to see it went to a good home.

OK I see it is that set, I love it :)

1 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago

If the large cocktail drum was single-headed, I probably did buy it from you. If that's the case, thank you very much.

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here