Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

COB vs NOB

This is a newb question. I understand that there is a difference between nickel and chrome, but how does COB and NOB affect the drum?

Posted on 15 years ago

Not much. I'm sure there are some that would state one is drier than the other, but to be quite honest, you would have to have the ears of a cat to actually hear a significant difference. It's very very very minimal - if any.

Cleanup is a big difference. Chrome is MUCH easier to clean than NOB. NO doubts. NOB will never really hit the level of SHINE that chrome does......usually.

Posted on 15 years ago

COB is actually brass then a layer of nickel, then a layer of chrome. All of the finishes (thickness) depend on the amount of time the part was left in the plating tank.

Some of the older brass hoops (30's - 50's) are a lot heavier than their newer counterparts (60's - current) regardless of their finish.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]With that said, Nickel shells and hardware, when kept in good shape...looks hella cool....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I will second that one Jaye...Nickel is my absolute favorite.

On a funny note...in a couple of weeks I will post a pic of "Pimp my Drum"..I got a '58 Ludwig snare and when it showed it had the same born on date as my son..so I let him pick what he wanted it to be..red sparkle wrap...all the hardware gold plated.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here