Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

COB Supra shell not perfectly round!

I own 2 Ludwig COB Supra-phonics and none of them is perfectly round but rather oval.

I measured the diameter on two different places. One is from strainer to butt and the other one is turned 90? to the first - so from the right lug next to the badge to the opposite lug on the other side. I did measure these two diameters on the top side as well as the bottom side of the shell.

This is what I discovered:

- top side diameter from strainer to butt: 35,5 cm

- top side diameter from one lug to the opposite and turned 90? to the strainer-butt diameter: 35,2 cm

- bottom side diameter from strainer to butt (bearing edge extends even more because of the pressed-in snare beds): 35,8 cm

- bottom side diameter from one lug to the opposite one: 35,1 cm

Normally 14" is about 35 cm.

Is this normal and if so, why did Ludwig do this?

If not, how could these brass shells go out of round? I don't see any heavy hitting marks or dents which could be a sign that the drum felt down and metal shells don't go out of round because of humidity or temperature.

Posted on 16 years ago

-Not normal...probably got dropped...possibly "compressed" between two PA speakers in the back of the band-van (for example). :). There are several instances where a drum could get bent without any detectable outward signs.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Thank you for your comments.

Since both of my COB's are like this, I personally don't think they're compressed or whatever by human abuse. It might be possible that at the beginning of the '60s Ludwig still made their drums mostly by hand or machines which were conducted by hand and so drums were not this perfect as they are now with these computer opperated machines.

The fact that the edge on the bottom side extends a little because of the pressed-in snare beds is clearly not caused by abuse but the extention simply happened during forming the snare bed.

Anyway, they sound fantastic.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here