Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

COB Powertone ?

Hello all.

I have read that Rogers Powertones were only made as COB, (excluding the woods of course) but then I read also that there were some steel as well. I have one being shipped to me right now. The shell has no pitting whatsoever. Also where can I find a serial #/year of manufacture chart ? Any Rogersholics out there that can enlighten me?

Thanks, John

Posted on 17 years ago

All metal Powertones were COB. There is erronious information in the Rogers Book on that issue. Click on the link for more Rogers experts.

Jack

:)

http://Rogers Owners Forum
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

All metal Powertones were COB. There is erronious information in the Rogers Book on that issue. Click on the link for more Rogers experts.Jack:)

Cool site....thanks for the lead.........I plan on breaking the drum down totally and cleaning/polishing the best I can. (as I did with a WFL WMP I picked up a few months ago).......hope to make it sparkle....

Very interested in the tonal quality I will get from the COB...any thoughts on what heads to use............

Thanks. John

Posted on 17 years ago

If you have a cleveland paper tag with a low serial number, with beavertail lugs...... I think perhaps prior to 4000, be careful when putting it back together you dont overtighten the screws. Not that its really fragile, but you could snap the screw post. For that matter, be careful not to overtighten at all. And above all..........DO NOT use steel wool.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

If you have a cleveland paper tag with a low serial number, with beavertail lugs...... I think perhaps prior to 4000, be careful when putting it back together you dont overtighten the screws. Not that its really fragile, but you could snap the screw post. For that matter, be careful not to overtighten at all. And above all..........DO NOT use steel wool.

I will certainly not be using steel wool, just a good metal polish. I have used Weimans in the past which has worked well. And thanks for the advice on tightening. The serial # is 71460........

Thanks, John

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

The drum is Fullerton era #71460. I broke it down and polished all parts. It looks brand new except for one very minor scratch. The shine of the chrome is incredible. But.....I broke the head off of one of the screws when re attaching a lug (they were a pain in the butt to screw back on for the most part)...........hope I can find one locally at a hardware store...they look generic enough.......now I need new heads and snares (cheap snares on this one, not original)

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here