Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

COB Krupa Sound King - is this a dent or not?

I've been gathering some info on how to remove a dent from a Slingerland Krupa Sound King, COB.

But I want to make sure before I start banging around with rubber hammers and such that it really is a dent and not the way the shell was meant to be, for snare bed or something.

When I took the Zoomatic strainer off the shell, I noticed this pronounced dent right behind/underneath where the throw was. (see pics)

My first thought was it from overtightening of the snares, and found info on the web to support this.

But I spoke to Jim Petty at jp2creations yesterday (super nice guy, full of knowledge!) who told me that was not due to overtightening but because of the snare being dropped and due to physics and the way the weight is distributed, snares typically land on the strainer, resulting in a dent. I'm sure this is will result in some debate.

In any event, what I would really like to know is if it's really a dent and not the way the shell is supposed to be.

Danke!

Posted on 13 years ago

At some point in this drums like it took a good whack on the Zoomatic strainer, in the second pic of yours the brass shell has a perfect outline of the back of your zoomie! you want to repair that. use a soft rubber mallet, on any hard surface covered with a cloth, where you'll be working and cover the inside also.brass is soft so light strokes is all it takes to remove the dent, just watch what your doing it's an easy fix.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

OUCH!!Hurting That is a dent for sure. I repaired a Sound King. I used a piece of 1" dowel cut to match the height of the shell.. that made it easy for me to tell when the shell was flat from top to bottom. I just kept rolling the dowel around the shell and giving it a whack where it didn't lay smooth.

I am neither a skilled craftsman (or a skilled drummer if that matters).. but the drum came out real nice. :) If I can do it... you can do it.

I love that drum.. distinct sound.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 13 years ago

Oh yeah, that's a dent! When you take off the bottom head, you'll see the crimp for the snare bed that some people mistake for a dent.

Thankfully brass is pretty malleable and you should be able to tap that right back into shape, almost good as new.

A rubber mallet's a useful tool, but when repairing mine, I put 3" or 4" square pieces of shell scrap inside and outside the shell when tapping so that the drum was being hammered into the proper curve and so that the edges of the hammer didn't leave an outline wherever I tapped.

And like v-more pointed out, that drum took a serious whack on its Zoomatic strainer. Might also explain the stripped shell nut and/or knob.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here