Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Coating over polished lugs?

I'm restoring this drum & have determined these lugs to be pot metal (muratic acid drips sizzle and 'smoke' when applied) and want to recondition the surface of them - most are 'crinkly' and rough. So I sanded them down from 120 grit to 600, then used black compound/sisal wheel with my buffer & they look great! Kinda look nickel plated, although I'm sure there's no plating left after the treatment I'm doing. I was going to do a flash copper plating, then nickel plate them, but I like the looks of them as they are now. My question is would it be a good idea to coat them with a spray clear acrylic paint, or it there a PowderCoat clear that could be applied & would it be a better coating?

1 attachments
Posted on 18 years ago

no opinions so far?

Posted on 18 years ago

My main opinion is that you should re-plate them.

Beyond that....I don't see a large amount of difference in either example of coating the raw metal with acrylic paint or some kind of sealer or whatever...because isn't the idea behind doing that, to keep the metal from oxidizing? So, therefore, what difference does the method make? Seems like powder coating (if possible) would be a lot of trouble just to seal them. Plus, on a drum like that, you probably aren't going to be banging around, so why overkill?

That's my other opinion. :)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

[COLOR=black][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Here is a more technical document on the subject, but not directly related to drums[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Click Here, it is a .pdf file[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]David[/COLOR]

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here