Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.25887%

Coated head on snare side?

Hi all,

(1) In the 40's / 50's, were drummers using calf skin heads on the bottoms of their snare drums as well as the tops? (I'm assuming they didn't have clear plastic resonant heads until later, so what was the standard back then?)

(2) Can I get some of that vintage tone by putting a thin coated head on the resonant side of my snare drum as well as the top?

Seems like a silly question, but any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on 15 years ago

NO NO NO NO NO!!!! DO NOT put a coated head on the bottom of your snare! You will kill ALL resonance! Use a snare side head. In the old days of calfskin heads the snare side head was a really thin hide called slunk skin......much thinner than a regular batter head. Same goes for today with modern heads. Use a SNARE SIDE head and you'll be fine.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yeah...agreed. I mean, you could go with a heavier snareside head, like an Emperor Snareside...but, unless you really, really wanna deaden the snare sound to a 'thunk'...don't use a coated.

It's not a silly question, I have seen folks use a batter head on the snare side in an emergency, but it's just not optimal regardless of the sound you are seekin'....

...there are a lotta choices you can go with on the batter side for an old-school sound (also depends a lot on what kinda snare drum we're talkin' about)....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks all. Currently using Fiberskyns on my batter, Diplomat clears on the snare side. Sounds fine, but was just curious. Thanks for clarification on the slunk skin. Had heard of that before but never truly knew what it was used for until now.

Posted on 15 years ago

Well, not to be too morbid or anything, but....well...

a "slunk" skin is the skin of an unborn calf that's still in the womb when the cow is slaughtered. Since the baby calf is underdeveloped, its skin is very thin. That's where slunk heads come from. And that's also why you will never see big-sized slunk drumheads.

:(

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here