Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Club Date V's Super Classic?

I have a few questions regarding 60?s Ludwig Club Date kits. I?m actually looking to buy any vintage kit in the smaller sizes 20/12/14 and find that they are mostly club date sets. Where they the cheaper version of the Super Classic Downbeat sets? Do they have the same 3 ply shells? The hardware generally looks cheaper/less durable, is it nickel plated? I?ve seen two different bass drum cymbal mounts, a very simple round mount where the cymbal arm penetrates the bass drum on a silly angle, and the usual mount found on Super Classic drums. Which of the two would be correct (or original) for a Club Date set? Same question again but the bass drum legs. Should a Club Date set sell for less than a Downbeat Set of the same wrap & condition? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Posted on 17 years ago

Quoted post

I have a few questions regarding 60?s Ludwig Club Date kits. I?m actually looking to buy any vintage kit in the smaller sizes 20/12/14 and find that they are mostly club date sets. Where they the cheaper version of the Super Classic Downbeat sets?

Yes.

Quoted post

Do they have the same 3 ply shells?

Yes.

Quoted post

The hardware generally looks cheaper/less durable, is it nickel plated?

Chrome and nickel plating were both options. Hardware is durable, but the long tension rods can be susceptible to bending.

Quoted post

I?ve seen two different bass drum cymbal mounts, a very simple round mount where the cymbal arm penetrates the bass drum on a silly angle, and the usual mount found on Super Classic drums. Which of the two would be correct (or original) for a Club Date set?

The Club Date kit I used to own had the one that penetrated. I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if both versions were made.

Quoted post

Same question again but the bass drum legs.

Same answer.

Quoted post

Should a Club Date set sell for less than a Downbeat Set of the same wrap & condition?

Generally Club Date kits have sold for around $500 USD for a 3 piece, around $800 for a more rare color. Recently, however, they have been going over $1000...I think the secret's out. They are great drums that I wouldn't hesitate to gig with. They look cool in their own way. They are the same shells as Classics, but to me they sound a little more open, maybe because of less and lighter hardware.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks heaps for your prompt reply. Just one more question. Anyone got one for sale? Anything in the 20/12/14 sizes actually.

Posted on 17 years ago

Not for sale , but thought I'd post this pic of mine .

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/sonor23/DSCF0072.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f164/sonor23/DSCF0076.jpg[/IMG]

1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here