Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Club Date Floor Tom Painted Over

I was out picking today and came across this old Stewart MIJ kit with an interesting twist. The bass and two toms were stewart but the floor tom had a Keystone Ludwig badge. It is totally painted over to match the _____? wrap on the Stewart kit. I really have no idea what I will find under the old beige paint.

Any thoughts on how to gently strip the old paint? I would not want to harm the wrap under there...!

Picked up the whole shee-bang for $100! including a nice vintage '60's Pearl ten lug snare.

Cheers!

-kellyj

1 attachments
"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 12 years ago

Spray-on Grafitti Stripper. Gets the paint off, won't harm the wrap underneath. Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, all carry it. It works.

BTW, you have an early club date 14"x14" there. Nickel over brass hardware and rims. I'll bet good money there's a Duco finish under there! That drum alone is worth more than twice what you paid for the entire kit.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

that might be a late 65 and up floor tom due to the upper badge placement. the badge was in the center position on the 60-mid 65 ludwigs. wfl did some upper badge placements in the 50's however.

great score on all of those.

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the input.

I just took the top head off. it's pristine inside, almost a time capsule.

White paint, baseball bat white felt muffler, date stamped July 22 1965.

-kellyj

Posted on 12 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Spray-on Grafitti Stripper. Gets the paint off, won't harm the wrap underneath. Lowes, Home Depot, Sears, all carry it. It works.BTW, you have an early club date 14"x14" there. Nickel over brass hardware and rims. I'll bet good money there's a Duco finish under there! That drum alone is worth more than twice what you paid for the entire kit.John

But if that's the case, wouldn't the "Grafitti Stripper" take the duco finish as well?

What is it with MIJ kits with Ludwig floor toms, anyway? I picked up a 60s blue sparkle MIJ kit last month, that lo-and-behold had a '65 Ludwig Classic 14x14 Floor Tom. Still got the MIJs out in the garage, but had no problem moving the 14x14...

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

From billnvick

What is it with MIJ kits with Ludwig floor toms, anyway? I picked up a 60s blue sparkle MIJ kit last month, that lo-and-behold had a '65 Ludwig Classic 14x14 Floor Tom. Still got the MIJs out in the garage, but had no problem moving the 14x14...Bill

The least expensive outfits were always bass/tom/snare combos with no floor tom. Then somone would add on with a used one at some point, if they found one in a matching color or they or they would take the Krylon to it. I've seen a lot of old Slingerland & Ludwig kits with MIJ floor toms, too. Same reason.

Posted on 12 years ago

Wow, nice find!!

If you want to sell the floor tom, I am very interested!!! ;)

let me know

greets

Dennis

"Life is about rhythm. We vibrate, our hearts are pumping blood, we are a rhythm machine, that's what we are." (Mickey Hart)

'67 Ludwig Red Sparkle Club Date
with '61 15"x12 marching/floor conversion
60's Royal Star kit
Posted on 12 years ago

I suppose mixing and hybridizing were OK back in the day??

As soon as I do a little scratch test I will let you know what's under the paint.

My guess, as one astute poster here said is duco as I don't see evidence of a wrap under the top head.

I may sell, I will keep you in mind!

-kellyj

Posted on 12 years ago

Well, if you are on a mix-n-match budget... Think of all the high school garage bands since 1964. I know I was in a few and picked up all the odd gear I could on dishwasher's scrip.

Posted on 12 years ago

From pjn1375

The least expensive outfits were always bass/tom/snare combos with no floor tom. Then somone would add on with a used one at some point, if they found one in a matching color or they or they would take the Krylon to it. I've seen a lot of old Slingerland & Ludwig kits with MIJ floor toms, too. Same reason.

I agree with your point on the bass/tom/snare; in fact, my first kit was that.

But... in this case (and with mine), there are two matching toms to mount on the bass drum, and then a non-matching name brand floor tom. That's what I thought was odd...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here