Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Clear lacquer over wrap

Hello everyone. Im currently restoring a nice 73 ludwig blue oyster pearl kit.

Some jackass spray painted it all black and Im currently working on removing the paint. Ive stripped the paint from the 13" tom. The wrap looks pretty good beneath, but the wrap looks kinda "faint". That outer "ply" that once made them shine seems to be gone. If this is due to me removing the lacquer or due to the treatment they've got before they got painted? I dont know. I just want them to look as good as they can again. In order to make them shine again, and to protect the wrap I'm starting to reconsider if it would be a good idea to apply a coat or two of clear lacquer over the wrap. Is this a good or a bad idea?

Posted on 10 years ago

No, dont do it. Remove the paint using as mild as a stripper as possible. Other guys on here have done it and I hope they chime in to tell you what they used. Once the paint is gone then use that Novus product to get a shine back. A coat of clear anything would never stick to that wrap, bad idea! And lets see some pics please. Good luck!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here