Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Clear coat on Maple shells?

Hi all,

I tried this back a while ago with not much success, the clear started to orange peel in places, even with light coats...so i resanded and went with a satin clear that worked well but no gloss obviously.

Question is...is this a job for the pro's

-thx

Posted on 16 years ago

Just got thru this on a set of maple finish Slingerlands. They had that great "old Varnish" look, so I really didn't want to strip them. Our bassist does guitar restos.This is whar he had me do. Mixed stain to match the scraped raw spots. I *very lightly* sanded with 330 just to clean things up, and knock off any loose stuff. Used MinWax Wipe-on Poly {gloss}. I may have went overboard, but I did 6 very thin coats.

They look great. Vintage, not piano finish perfect, just that nice glow. Warm glossy, but not glassy shine. No problems, and I've never done the stain and varnish thing before. Got a round badge Gretsch snare that's gonna get the same treatment! Bill

Posted on 16 years ago

From crash

Just got thru this on a set of maple finish Slingerlands. They had that great "old Varnish" look, so I really didn't want to strip them. Our bassist does guitar restos.This is whar he had me do. Mixed stain to match the scraped raw spots. I *very lightly* sanded with 330 just to clean things up, and knock off any loose stuff. Used MinWax Wipe-on Poly {gloss}. I may have went overboard, but I did 6 very thin coats.They look great. Vintage, not piano finish perfect, just that nice glow. Warm glossy, but not glassy shine. No problems, and I've never done the stain and varnish thing before. Got a round badge Gretsch snare that's gonna get the same treatment! Bill

Bill: Did you need to use MinWax Pre-Stain Wood Conditioner prior to staining and using the poly gloss?

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here