Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Cleaning/Restoring Gretsch Natural Finish

Hello- I have found a 70s 16" floor tom shell to match my kit, it is natural finish- classic maple. Think of Charlie Watts kits.

My question- the previous owner somehow wrapped the shell with duct tape. I need to get that adhesive goo off somehow. I was thinking Murphy's oil soap and very fine steel wool, but am worried the finish will get scratched.

The finish itself has some spider webbing and hairline cracking.

I'm hoping to not have to refinish it entirely or get into sanding.

Any advice on products and techniques will be VERY appreciated.

Thanks again,

Will

NC

Posted on 2 years ago

Lots of work I've used Brake clean which is found at any auto parts supply stores

I've used this in the past to get sticky goo removed ,it seems to have No effect on lacquer or plastic finishes Test on a lug area just to be sure You will need at least a couple of cans ,as it evaporates super fast .... spray on a rag and rub off goo I buy this stuff by the case when it goes on sale....... I use it all my antique automobile finishes { I restore vintage MG TC's hence the name} to remove sticker glue etc etc...the stuff is amazing we Use it to clean almost everything I would first warm up the tape to get it more pliable with a Hair dryer but not to HOT !.this will make the job a lot easier

........ good luck

Posted on 2 years ago

OK- thanks so much. I had not thought to use anything like that. Appreciate your input.

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here