Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Cleaning Wrap - Gretsch Nitro White

Hi all,

Newbie here and my metal work has come up lively so now it’s time to look at the wraps.

It’s a 1970’s nitro white wrap on a Gretsch.

Most of the drums have UV yellowing - is there anything I can do?

The floor Tom has gone a strange pink colour - what can I do?

What are my options?

I’ve seen people talk of chemicals? Or even sanding down the wrap?

Totally newbie so no idea what to do or what is best.

The top toms are best. The kick has the UV and the floor has this pink/peach colouring. But you.M can see under the lugs the original nitro white.

Thank you all so much.

Posted on 2 years ago

Hello and welcome!

In my experience, there isn't much that can be done for UV fading. Those pigments have been altered forever on a molecular level! However, there may be some new restoration techniques that I am unaware of.

I wouldn't try sanding the wrap because I don't know how it would be possible to get the evenness right -especially with white. You'd have to have the hands of a surgeon and have lots of fine polishes and equipment to do the job properly. That's my opinion on that, anyway.

It would be helpful if you could post some pics of what we are talking about here.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago
Posted on 2 years ago

wonder what white auto rubbing compound would do.

Turtle wax white- you probably have some in the garage try a spot..

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 2 years ago

From O-Lugs

Hello and welcome!In my experience, there isn't much that can be done for UV fading. Those pigments have been altered forever on a molecular level! However, there may be some new restoration techniques that I am unaware of. I wouldn't try sanding the wrap because I don't know how it would be possible to get the evenness right -especially with white. You'd have to have the hands of a surgeon and have lots of fine polishes and equipment to do the job properly. That's my opinion on that, anyway.It would be helpful if you could post some pics of what we are talking about here.

This is actually incorrect. UV altered plastics can be restored using the Retrobrite process.

There are tons of videos on youtube of people taking horribly yellowed computer gear and restoring it back to its original color.

It's harder to do on drums because you can't soak them but an even coating covered with saran wrap to keep them moist and some time in the sun should do the trick. I haven't used it personally, but many have. The biggest trick is even coverage and even exposure to the sun or UV light.

I personally would never consider sanding a drum wrap. The color change goes deeper than just the surface and by the time you get to clean plastic and then sanded back smooth and polished you might have wrap that is too thin to survive.

There is plenty of info on those videos and online on the process but it is basically high strength hydrogen peroxide that you can get from beauty supply stores. There are some ready made products on Amazon but are very pricey and are probably just pre packaged stuff you could buy much cheaper in the beauty store.

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here