Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Cleaning up wrap and re-installing rerings...HELP!

Recently came across a bunch of 60's Ludwig marching snares and I recently cut one of the rougher ones down to a 6". It was painted over BDP so I wetsanded the paint off.

Question #1 - What would be the best way to shine/buff/wax the shell? I've heard the names "Novus" and "McGuires" dropped a few times. Would anyone like to tell me their preference?....or something even better?

Also with cutting down a 60's shell, I have to re-install the rering...

Question #2 - What's the best way to re-install a ring? I have all the other woods sanded off of the ring, ready to be put in. I'm thinking I may steam the original glue off and then glue/clamp/glue/clamp/etc. until the ring is tight? I haven't a clue as to what I'm doing though (lol). Better yet.... IS THE TOP RING EVEN NEEDED? Has anyone ever tried a 3-ply with only one ring?

I'll post pictures of the project when I get home - I'm rushing to do this post at work!

Thanks in advance for any help you may have to offer.

Posted on 12 years ago

You, sir, are right up my alley on cutting down the shells.

Yes, the ring is necessary on the top. Yes, glue clamp glue clamp all the way around is what I've done. You've got to be careful to get the ring placed back in the "proper" position all-the-way-around and then you need to be prepared to touch up or even re-cut the bearing edge.

I've cut down a late 50's 10x14 Ludwig Marching drum to 5.5x14. It had the single "Club Date" style of lugs, which meant after cutting down to that size what were the bottom holes for the lugs became the top hole so that new "bottom" holes for the lugs were all I needed to drill (oh yeah, new air hole and holes to re-install the tone control). Throw-off and butt holes stayed the same.

I've been on this project off-and-on since Christmas and for one reason or another it just keeps getting put on the back burner. I've been going to post "progress" pics, but just haven't gotten around to it. (BTW -- I'm on this forum much more at work than I am at home where I can post pics!)

Will be looking forward to seeing your progress!

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

I use Gel Gloss to polish up the wrap after a good cleaning.

Posted on 12 years ago

From Fairdealingsbest

Question #1 - What would be the best way to shine/buff/wax the shell? I've heard the names "Novus" and "McGuires" dropped a few times. Would anyone like to tell me their preference?....or something even better?

I recently picked up Novus #2 at the local Harley-Davidson shop for $4.50. It worked very well on a marine pearl wrap that I had used 2000 grit sandpaper on to knock off some of the yellowing. You could barely see light scratch marks on it before - but after Novus, it shined up real nice! Yes Sir

I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 12 years ago

Here's a pic of the snares before any work was done, exactly as I brought them home....

1 attachments
140.2 kB
Posted on 12 years ago

Also, thanks billnvick! Nice to not get bashed for altering a snare, lol.

Did you steam the old glue to get it off of the old wood or chip and sand it down? Did you use the existing seam of the ring or make a new one?

I'll be posting some pics of the progress tonight. Be ready for it!

Posted on 12 years ago

I've used Meguire's Clear Plastic products on my Vistalites for years. After doing some reasearch, I found out that you can use the stuff on wraps as well. I just stripped, cleaned, and polished a set of vintage Mod Oranges, and they came out great.

People swear by Novus, but I've never used it.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here