Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Cleaning Stainless Steel Drums???

I have just acquired a '70s Ludwig Stainless Steel drum set a few days ago. I was wondering what I can use to clean it? I has alot of dirt and grime on it. I was thinking of completety taking the set apart and washing the shells with a hose and soap and water. Will that work to at least remove the dirt and grime without scratching it? The set has scratches on it anyways, but I want to try to keep this set a mirror!! Will washing it first then maybe using a buffer to take out any minor scratches work? There is ALOT of grime on the shells as it had been in a shed for at least 20 years according to the previous owner. I'm just worried that disturbing the dirt and grime will scratch it anyways. Any info and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on 18 years ago

I have the same set and the best thing is to strip it down and give a wash. I guess the bath tub is easier to work with and lay a towel down first.

I followed up with Flitz and hand buffed it out to an almost chrome like finish.

I hope that helps.

I prefer to stay away from any buffing wheel unless you are very experienced, because you can do damage to the finish.

If you have a trouble scratch maybe do a test spot first to see how it responds to more aggressive methods and a buffing wheel.

David

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks David!! I'll give it a shot and hope for the best!! Do you happen to have any ideas on how rare these sets are? They do have the blue and olive badge with the nice sharp corners. Thanks Again!!

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks David!! I'll give it a shot and hope for the best!! Do you happen to have any ideas on how rare these sets are and how much an "average" condition set may be worth? They do have the blue and olive badge with the nice sharp corners. Thanks Again!!

Posted on 18 years ago

What are the drum sizes?

david

Posted on 18 years ago

head size first.......... 22x14 bass, 12x7? tom, 13x8 tom, 16x15 floor tom. I bought this as a 4 piece no snare. What was the original snare?

Posted on 18 years ago

It should have come with a Supra.

I have that exact same set and sizes.

Not necessarily rare, except for the odd drum sizes which you occasionally see or the Bonham size bass drum!!

Value is probably between $600 and $900.

Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks again David. I appreciate it.

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here