Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Cleaning satin wraps!

Question for the experts. I have a late 60's sonor teardrop kit(12/16/20) with an satin wrap. It is not original but it is a very close match to the original blue satin of 69-73.

My question is that over time it has a blackish discoloration to it and i would like to clean it if it is posible. What should i use as a cleaner? It is in pretty solid shape with no cracks and it has a textured feel to it(probably typical of satin, not sure). The hoop inlays are the worst so i guess i would start there.

Here's a couple of before pics:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/sonorjedi/IMAG0351.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/sonorjedi/IMAG0353.jpg[/IMG]

Sorry they're not the best pics. I did plan on doing a WMP which sonor used a variation but i just don't have the time now and i'd like to start giging this kit soon. Chrome on this kit is really nice and i have nice phonic hoops to go on the toms. I think it'll be a great working kit once it's cleaned up! I do need a period correct tom arm for it though...

Thanks for any advice, Gary

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

I just cleaned a 60's Sonor snare w/ Gold Satin flame finish. It was really filthy, but I used only water to clean it, because water will evaporate away. if you try any other cleaner, or polish, it will go into the grooves, & be difficult or impossible to remove, & may make things worse. The water worked great. I have a Gretsch set of Gold Flame w/ dark spots & ugly blotches, but there was nothing I could do to remove them. I don't know if the blotches were under the wrap or set so deep in the grooves, they wouldn't go away. (Hopefully others will have a solution. I'd like to hear it).

Posted on 12 years ago

I have used just clean water with a little dishwashing detergent added.. use sparingly with the detergent. Wipe & dry with a clean microfibre type cloth, these get right into the grain..

The finish is susceptible to scratching.. so use only very soft cloths..

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 12 years ago

Over on DFO someone used Dow Bathroom cleaner and it appears to have worked magic!

Posted on 12 years ago

I've used scrubbing bubbles, at Jack Lawton's recommendation, and have had amazing results.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks i'm going to give these a try. The grooves as mentioned are what concern me.

Gary.

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

Hi, Newbie here. I've been working on a Slingerland lavender satin flame and I'm really happy I found the suggestion of using Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner from SC Johnson through a google search and that's what brought me here to VDF. The Scrubbing Bubbles get down into the grooves and lift the dirt right out in seconds. Then just gently wipe off with a good absorbent paper towel.(alot of paper towels). I didn't have any problems with lint getting into the grooves like I thought would happen. You just have to watch out for the lug holes and bearing edges as the bubbles will work it's way into the pores of the wood if you don't block them off. Also you have to be careful around the seam of the wrap. Of course both of these situations are just precautions.

Many thanks to Jack Lawton and Rocketman for the advice and gSonor for starting the thread I'm grateful that I found this suggestion and found this great forum.

1981 Slingerland Magnum 8pc Pewter Silk
1971 Slingerland Avante 60N Lavender Satin Flame
1976/7 Ludwig Vistalite 5pc Yellow
1980's Ludwig Rocker 5pc Black
2004 Gretsch Catalina Birch Caribbean Blue
1998 Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic 14X4.75
1922 Bower Snare
Posted on 12 years ago

WOW, did that work great (Dow)!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here