Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Cleaning "Natural" finish shells

Well, they're not exactly vintage, but...

I'm cleaning up a Yamaha Stage Custom Bop kit, that's the natural wood finish.There's a clear coat over the wood. What's the best way to clean this? The kit is some years old, and when I remove the hoops and the spurs, etc, I can see that the color has gotten a little darker.

I'm not obsessed with getting it perfect (like I am when I do pedals!), and I don't want be do damage by being too aggressive.

I'm thinking of using car care cleaner polish type stuff, since that cleans a clear coat.

But, what's the VDF wisdom?

Posted on 6 years ago

Or... maybe some good furniture cleaner -- not a spray -- and lightly rubbing with 0000 steel wool?

I also have a three step wrap clean/polish.

Or maybe I should spray bomb them with yellow paint....

Toilet

Posted on 6 years ago

I would clean them just like fine furniture if I was so incline, and stay away from car products.

For my natural wood snares all I've ever done is wipe them off with a soft cloth periodically - spending a bit more time to make the chrome a bit shiny/remove fingerprints and oil.

In my experience, I have found that the maple will darken (or go more golden with age over the blonde look I purchased them as) a bit exposed to the elements mostly UV from light here, which I think only makes the wood "that" much better! So I would say don't try and clean that off as it's not dirt or dirty, because you'll only be frustrated or may affect the clearcoat.

Posted on 6 years ago

Sounds like good advice. I wiped a small section using spray window cleaner, and it picked up a bit of dirt. But you're right about the mellowing of the tone, too.

I think I'm the one that could 'lighten up.'

Thanks, Hoppy -

Posted on 6 years ago

I have a Stage custom birch kit with natural (clear) wood finish. It's pretty recent, not the latest generation, but the one before, about 4 years old or so. I've noticed that the finish is slightly "yellowing", especially the sides that face the room. (It's pretty much in the same place all the time, and no direct sunlight.)

Posted on 6 years ago

I always follow this protocol for gloss lacquer shells:

1. Use Windex and a microfiber towel to get off surface dirt and dust.

2. Polish the shell with furniture polish and microfiber towel, then buff with a soft terrycloth towel.

3. Apply a good quality car wax with the included foam applicator, then buff, first with a micro fiber towel, then with a terrycloth towel.

I've achieved excellent results each time using this method. Also, you can find a car wax with a UV inhibitor, to keep the drums for yellowing or fading any more.

V

Posted on 6 years ago

Excellent. What I ended up doing was cleaning with a mild solution of Dawn/water, drying with cotton terry cloth towel, then using a good furniture cleaner wax. The drums cleaned very well -- a layer of haze and dust came clean and the polish did the trick.

I didn't use care wax- maybe the next time I change the heads.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here