Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Cleaning Ludwig sparkle wrap

Any suggestions for cleaning sparkle wrap and getting a nice shine to it?

I've got a Ludwig orange sparkle floor tom pre-1964 that I found that needs a good shine to it.....

TIA

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

Well on those silver sparkle Towers that were so nasty.. I went damp Windex to lift off any gritty stuff (couple cleanings)... then I went the Novus 1-2 route for a clean off.. then I went back with a cotton ball and isopropyle alchol (sp?) on remaining adhesive spots.. then I did Novus 1 and 2 one more time...I also rubbed a couple small dull places out with Novus 3.. then I Turtle waxed them.

I was very happy with it... but there is no science and very little experience behind that. :)

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

AFTER cleaning off the drum really well...

I used a product called Nu-Finish. It's made for cars. It's in a bright orange plastic bottle. I think there are other similar products under different names. You apply a bit to a soft cloth, rub it onto the surface and then it hazes over. After that, you take another soft clean dry rag and wipe off the haze. It's kind of like wax, but not waxy. It leaves a very clean surface. A little goes a long way!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 15 years ago

Highly recommend Novus . Kiss

1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 15 years ago

From O-Lugs

AFTER cleaning off the drum really well...I used a product called Nu-Finish. It's made for cars!

I used Nu-Vinyl. Its by the same company and works great! No buffing needed. Just apply with cloth, let dry, and your done.

These products are made for car exteriors/interiors, so I imagine they have the added benefit of UV blockers.

Max

Posted on 15 years ago

From jazzbo

Highly recommend Novus . Kiss

Novus bought and being shipped as we speak....uh, type

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

Clean them with the Novus then put a final polish with some kind of hard finish product...

I love that feeling when the cloth just glides off the shiny shell.... smooooooth.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

I too recommend Novus #2.

I can't recommend following up with car wax type products. Over time they tend to have "buildup" and start to dull...then you'll have to clean them again...

I think, all you have to do is clean the shells and use Novus #2 twice.

BTW, Ludwig didn't offer orange sparkle...the drum you have is gold sparkle...Ludwig's sixties gold was very orange-ish...

Only Slingerland and Gretsch had an orange sparkle...Gretsch had Tangerine sp. in the sixties and Slingerland had orange in the '70s...

Posted on 15 years ago

From Rich K.

I too recommend Novus #2.I can't recommend following up with car wax type products. Over time they tend to have "buildup" and start to dull...then you'll have to clean them again...I think, all you have to do is clean the shells and use Novus #2 twice.BTW, Ludwig didn't offer orange sparkle...the drum you have is gold sparkle...Ludwig's sixties gold was very orange-ish...Only Slingerland and Gretsch had an orange sparkle...Gretsch had Tangerine sp. in the sixties and Slingerland had orange in the '70s...

Thanks Rich, I slipped off the vintage drum truck when typing the post. I'm cleaning it up for sale. No serial on the badge, so I think someone might need or want it, hopefully...

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here