Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

Cleaning interior of shells

I'm rebuilding/cleaning BOP set.

1) is goo gone ok for wiping down shells?

2)need to touch up smudges etc on interior, What's best way to touch up clear interior w/out scratching or dulling??Coffee Break2

Currently working on a 7 piece virgin double bass 3 ply early 70's Ludwig kit to be wearing....MOD ORANGE.
Posted on 14 years ago

1) Not the first choiuce. I would take all the hardware off then, depending on the amount and type of crud on them, I would use either plsin old soap and water, or 409, or similar, maybe Simple Green, or Oxyclean, something like that. Any of these will work. use a good cloth, and if you need to get a little more agressive, use a scrotch brite, with very light pressure. If you scrub too hard, well, you know the consequences.

2) For the interiors, since they are already clear coated, the same goes, as far as technique, maybe use some Murphy's Oil Soap for wood. It will not adversely affect the lacquer. It is easy enough, but since these are older drums, I wouldn't use anything harsh on the lacquer, not like the wrap, and don't use scratch pads unless absolutely positively nothing else works to remove the crud.

Do not get too much moisture in and around the holes, it could easily soak into the wood and possibly cause some minor to major swelling, and let it all dry for a couple of hours afterward so as not to trap any moisture inside the shells.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the good tips. Muy importante.

1) Started w/ GooGone to remove duct tape residue on shell(special). Switching to Simply Green, and then liquid wax?? Help2

2) Interior wood appears to be pristine, no lacquer or clearcoat. Numerous smudges. washer marks, pedal grease, and plain old desert dust esp. on floor of shell where it deposits. Using Murphy's so far... SEE PICS(3rd time uploading!) Have sandpaper, but hesitant, might scratch. Wut next?

Note to self: don't ever transport pedal inside of kick drum! :o

Currently working on a 7 piece virgin double bass 3 ply early 70's Ludwig kit to be wearing....MOD ORANGE.
Posted on 14 years ago

Try a little softscrub (the one with bleach). Once again, not too much water, a little softscrub rubbed into a damp sponge. Try it on a small spot and see what you get. This is for the interior by the way.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

+1 on that. I use a local simple green type stuff for the innurds of all my shells. It works great and really cuts the grime and gunk.

Posted on 14 years ago

As these shells are not coated at all, i don't know what to tell you to do other thna maybe a 220 grit sandpaper, and patience. Be careful around the date stamp though. Water on open grain wood is not going to go well. Is everyone paying attention, no lacquer interiors here? Only bare wood...so moisture is not really going to be an alternative, I wouldn't think.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

If it's truely bare (they looked dirty white) then use steel wool, light grade like 0000 or 000. You can use a couple of squirts of Murphys to lube up the steel wool and break away the dirt.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

From GoneDrumming

If it's truely bare (they looked dirty white) then use steel wool, light grade like 0000 or 000. You can use a couple of squirts of Murphys to lube up the steel wool and break away the dirt.

Here's a pic; It's hard to discern the natural wood grain in previous pics, but keep in mind these are 67's and I think by then they stopped white coating the "innurds"; unless this is another Ludwig anomaly. DOH

When you look at these, think "natural", not dirty white. I am using a technique of wet-sand with this O-Glo cleaner and fine sandpaper. that's basically what you suggested with Murphy's/steel wool.

Decided to go ahead and polish/wipe down the whole interior and THEN start looking at the flaws. Agreed on the No-Water! approach. Once I like the appearance, I need a recommended clear coat, unless this seems unadvisable. I'll add a progress pic soon.

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Looks good! I had to do a '70 down beat with roach droppings all on the inside..mmm mmm good.

I use lemon oil or teak oil on the insides of mine. I don't know if it's right or not but it works for me and I haven't had any issues.

58 - Slingerland Duco
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

From GoneDrumming

Looks good! I had to do a '70 down beat with roach droppings all on the inside..mmm mmm good.

Reminds me of the jam house in high school...I was worried about stowaways when I brought my stuff home. Chewie:

From GoneDrumming

I use lemon oil or teak oil on the insides of mine. I don't know if it's right or not but it works for me and I haven't had any issues.

Right on. This O-Glo is "Made with pure orange oil." Perfect for unfinished or finished wood.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here