Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Cleaning Gold

I have 1920's era snare whose metal parts all have that gold colored-plated look. Is there something I can do to protect this gold look. There are a few spots of green deteriation. Can I stop this but still protect the gold look. Thanks for any ideas.....

Posted on 16 years ago

From jreiman

I have 1920's era snare whose metal parts all have that gold colored-plated look. Is there something I can do to protect this gold look. There are a few spots of green deteriation. Can I stop this but still protect the gold look. Thanks for any ideas.....

The "gold-colored" that you mention is probably Artgold (L&L, Slingerland) or Nobby Gold (Leedy)...photos always make it easier for a more accurate answer...I use a dental tool to clear out any of the green (you need to be very careful here) then a little lemon oil or 3-in-one oil to clean up the area and if needed, a shot of gold lacquer...I did a big restoration article for NSMD a few months ago that goes into this in more detail...feel free to call or email me if needed...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here