Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Cleaning dirty synthetic drumheads

Sometimes, a collector gets a drum or a kit that has the original factory drumheads still intact. There's nothing like those old Weathermasters or the "dB" series that Ludwig used to make....literally nothing like them....because they aren't made in the same way anymore.

They can accumulate a lot of grime over the years...you know the stuff...I'm talking about those scuffs that literally get slammed into the surface of a coated batter head.

Well, guess what? You can get them clean with some kitchen/bathroom product called "Soft Scrub with bleach". Just squirt a glob of the stuff onto your old vintage (synthetic) drumhead and take a small washcloth or rag and swirl it around and apply a little bit of pressure. Rinse the heads off under hot water and then towel dry it and then let them air-dry for awhile. It works surprisingly well for white-coated Weathermasters and similar vintage-style heads....and, oftentimes THOSE heads ARE worth saving. It's one of those little details that give a collectible jussst a bit more "ooomph"! -if you know what I mean.Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Wow! That's some very useful information! I'm the one who posted photos of my 1966 Ludwig gold sparkle kit in the Drum Gallery section. I appreciate your feedback on my kit!

I have 2 questions. First, I would imagine that Soft Scrub with bleach will probably remove the "Ludwig Weather Master" logos if I pass a rag over them?

Second, will rinsing the drum head in water affect the sound of the head after it has completely dried? Can water damage the white coating?

I have the original weather master heads on the batter and resonant sides of all drums. I would love to see the batter sides white again! Here's a pic.

Thanks!

1 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Man, I was thinking about your drums when I made this thread! :) But...YES! The Soft Scrub WILL remove the logo...so just avoid that area and it will be fine. I rinsed the heads off under hot tap water after scrubbing them and then I wicked the excess water off them with some paper towels and then let them air dry. Neither the coating nor the sound suffered...but they do look a lot better!

Posted on 17 years ago

Cool I'll give it a try, and keep the water and soft scrub away from the logos.

Thanks!

Posted on 17 years ago

If you wanted to, you could probably stick a piece of that blue painter's masking tape across the logo area and proceed from there. The logo is inked on, so it can take a little water...but avoid scrubbing over it with the Soft Scrub.

Posted on 17 years ago

Moisture won't affect the coating.. there's a reason why it's called Weathermaster.

Simo

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here