Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Cleaning Aluminum Pedals

I have quite a bit of hardware I am cleaning up for sale and need advice on cleaning pedals. I use the Dawn treatment for alot of my stuff, but am wondering what method/products to use to clean up Slinger pedals (the big S) and also Luddy HH stand pedals (1123, 1124, etc.).

Thanks for any help -

John

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 12 years ago

I use detergent and water and something like a nail brush to remove embedded grime----rinse well and let dry or dry in the sun or use a hair dryer. The aluminum can be buffed , with a similar drush and any one of the metal polishes out there. The residue can be removed and the aluminum brought to a reasonable shine with a good shoe brush.

This all needs a bit of elbow grease----i have considered just blasting them out in the sun with a pressure washer---it might do the trick. It's pretty easy to stay away from the lubricated parts but if necessary you can relube anything you feel might have been delubed.

Posted on 12 years ago

forum member bfulton should chime in here. he is the hardware restoration master!

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Boy, it's obviously been a long time since I've followed the conversations here!

I've been using some polishing wheels on a bench grinder -- not polishing really, but it leave a nice clean surface. Worked a lot lately on some nice Ludwif hi hats.

But if you DO get ambitious, those Slingerland Tempo Kings look AWESOME when they're polished. I have a soft spot for those... I think I had mine done by a pro-polishing shop when I was using that shop on a semi-regular basis...

Plan B? Dawn detergent and baking soda. Use a brush with pretty stiff plastic bristles. You can experiment with some metal/wire brushes, but check to see if they'll scratch. Baking soda is the absolute magic ingredient for so much clean up stuff for me...including soaking up spilled beverage from the carpet.

I've used the aluminum cleaner goop from the hardware store... nope... not worth it.

Posted on 11 years ago

In some cases I've had good success with 'Paiste Cymbal Cleaner'.

And 'Autosol' (car metal polish paste) worked sometimes well, too.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 11 years ago

I agree -- there are a number of good polishes, like Mother's Mag" polish... just about any quality polish meant for magnesium wheels will do. I imagine one of their "polishing balls" kits would work, but I've never used it.

The only thing about those is that you're never finished! Put a dab of polish on a cloth, rub, and it'll come away black! I eventually decide 'good enough,' and wash with Dawn and the miracle ingredient, baking soda!

I always referred to those parts as 'pot metal,' which was used on old cars for pieces to be cast. The pro polish guy who did some work, told me the Speed King footboards are magnesium. I'm no expert...just relaying the info...

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here