Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Clean & Restore

I was hoping to get some opinions on the best way to clean and restore my Ludwig natural maple shells. They are late 70's with a lacquered finish and are in good shape for their age but do have some chaffing, scratches and blemishes. Unfortunately, I'm unable to include pictures, but they are best described as having developed that "yellow" patina look which from what I understand is a good thing.

I've read up a bit on the different ways and products, but I'm interested in getting some more insight before I proceed.

Thanks -VinnieCal

Posted on 6 years ago

For lacquer finishes, I follow this process:

**Use microfiber cloths for cleaning/polishing and soft, terrycloth type towels for buffing**

Disassemble the drums completely, taking everything off the shell (other than the badge/grommet of course).

I clean off the surface dirt and dust with a slightly damp microfiber towel. That usually gets off most of it. If you have any sticky residues or gunk that won't come off, use lighter fluid. It works very well and will not harm the finish at all. Do NOT use acetone or nail polish remover. That will harm your finish!

For scratches and blemishes, try products that are made for cars, like scratch removers, etc. An auto parts store will have a good selection.

I then take basic, household furniture polish and apply it to the shells, spreading it around with the microfiber, and buffing it off with a terry towel.

I then use a good quality car wax and apply it/buff it using the same method as above.

There are car waxes now that provide some UV protection, which is never a bad thing.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for the info. I came across a product (Restore-A-Finish by Howard Products) Is there a problem or concern with using this product/process on my drums?

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here