Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Cinci OH area drum restoration

I need some edges cut. Does anyone know of a Cinci OH area shop I could get these done at. Indy IN would be fine as well. Thanks

Posted on 13 years ago

First off, what type of drums, vintage, modern, handmade...

The reason I ask is you can get them done for much less by anyone that runs a high quality wood shop, such as a cabinet maker, as they know what they are doing as well, if not better than, some guy that only knows three cuts/contours. These guys do custom work and do it well, and are not as snooty as drum guys. Simply find a few in the Ybook, call 'em up, interview a couple and go with the one you are most comfy with. Most will let you come to the shop and explain EXACTLY what you need and what your expectations are. Don't forget to ask about sanding them smooth, or if you should do it at home. The hand sanding, or smoothing, is likely to cost you money if nothing else does. Offer the guy a night out with his wife/girlfriend/S.O. in exchange for a couple of beers and some cool music that he helped create. You live in a blue collar, industrial city, where pride in workmanship is still alive and well, and there should be no shortage of these guys, and a colbeer (or three) and hot music go a long way to a man's heart, where his girl is concerned. "See honey, I made that man's drum(s) sound that good". There is a lot of pride in a job well done.

The drum guys do it once in a while, the woodworker runs these tools all day, every day and have lots of expensive wood not to screw up, so likely won't harm your stuff. I use a local cabinet maker for some and my own router for others. If you are duplicating a vintage edge, take them to the shop and explain how important it is that they don't miss the first time. Most of them will look at you and say, sure, I can have all 6 drums done in 15 minutes...wanna watch?

If you see lots of scraps and "uh-ohs" near the table...not a good idea to let him on your drums...but if the floor is "clean", free of drops and cluttered dead wood, you got the right guy. Don't be shy, ask questions, don't assume because you send them out to a drum shop that they will come back flawless, but also don't be afraid to ask if you can watch the guy at the cabinet shop, either. And likely the cost of a local woodworker will be way less than half the cost of a drum shop, if they charge you at all and you don't have to send them out and wait for who knows how long???

Don't let my info below, or any understanding or opinion you may have of me personally deter you from accepting, or even looking at, my suggestions. I know how important it all is. These are musical instruments, and many people would never do the things I do, working edges by hand, sanding and smoothing...it's just too stressful, for most. Not me, I am confident in my work and my experience and my understanding of wood and resonance and other "drummy stuff". (I grew up in an antique shop)... ;<)

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here