Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Cigarette Smell

Has anyone had any experience in removing the smell of cigarettes from unpainted interior drum shells without staining or negatively impacting the shell by the product or process that was used? Also wondering if anyone's removed the same or similar smell from plastic wraps?

Any "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on 12 years ago

Gary,Murphy's soap oil for the interior and Novus plastic polish for the wrap they will both get rid of that Nasty Cigarette smell. Dilute the Murphy's soap oil with water, also if you have any date stamps or writing inside the shell the soap oil will remove those so you'll not be able to use Murphy's soap oil.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 12 years ago

VM2K is spot on. I use that same method. I did have one particularly stubborn snare, though. After I did the Murphy thang, I threw in several of the dryer sheets and let them sit in there for about a week; heads on. It did the trick for the final bit. I went over it again with Murphy's, to weaken the flowery dyer sheet smell. Go figure.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

Lemon-scented ammonia.I do cigarette-smoke and stain removal at my day job.A strong concentrate with hot water in a bucket.Use a rag,soak and wring out.Wipe the affected area,not to soak.Dry and repeat as needed.

Posted on 12 years ago

Hey, but isn't the smell part of the patina? Hmmmm

Sysl krysu nenahradi!

-196?-72 6ply White Oyster Amati
-1960s 3ply Red Sparkle Amati
- Zildjian, Paiste, Zyn, Istanbul

http://bandzone.cz/blueswan
Posted on 12 years ago

From Gilnar

Hey, but isn't the smell part of the patina? Hmmmm

Oh god no! LOL!

Posted on 12 years ago

From OldSchool

Has anyone had any experience in removing the smell of cigarettes from unpainted interior drum shells without staining or negatively impacting the shell by the product or process that was used? Also wondering if anyone's removed the same or similar smell from plastic wraps?Any "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated!

As long as there is a "finish" on the drum interior,try some diluted 409,on a damp sponge. Won't hurt the stamp or finish. Question. If the drum had a bottom head, how could it smell like coffin nails?

I remember cleaning the interior of my step-dad's VW camper with this method. Worked great.

B

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback.Bowing

I'll be picking up the Murphy's soap oil this morning.

Posted on 12 years ago

Drop a couple tic tacs through the vent hole!

Posted on 12 years ago

A friend of mine who is a jazz guitarist found some incense in Toronto's Chinatown and the scent was labelled "puss*"--------had a picture of a cat on the label.

. Maybe that would work.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here