Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

Cigar band snare...with a little help from my friends

So, after several months - really 6 years if you consider the time it took to accumulate all the bands - my latest project is complete. I hope you like it!

I will post more pictures and tell you about the drum shortly, but let me first thank my friends who had a hand and/or advice in this process. First, I want to thank Matt (CTProPercussion) for kindly allowing me to borrow his idea...and for all the helpful hints on how to do it. A big thank you to Bill (Billnvick), who cut down this shell from a 70s Ludwig 10x14 marching tom (it is now 7x14). He did a good job, as always, but he also had to cut snare beds. He said he's never cut beds before, but he sure did a great job on them. Another big thank you to Jeff (jccabinets) for doing a fine job of spraying the clear lacquer and making it look like the bands are behind a sheet of glass. I also greatly appreciate John (Purdie Shuffle) for allowing me to ask him 100 questions, and for his helpful advice. Many thanks to Bobby (Legacy drummer) for listening to me talk about this drum for the past 6 or 7 months, and for all the advice along the way. And a great big thank you to Glenn (FFR428) for reminding me that Jeff is a professional with a spray gun who could do a much better job than I ever could with a rattle can.

I'll have pictures and, as Paul Harvey would say, the rest of the story in a few minutes.

Lynn

4 attachments
I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 11 years ago

Great Concept.

Executed extremely well.

Looks Fantastic.

sa

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 11 years ago

For the particulars: As I mentioned previously, this is a 1970s Ludwig 3-ply shell that was cut down to 7x14. I had a P86 strainer still in the bag, so I decided I'd use it. The nickel over brass tube lugs are, according to the seller, 1920s Ludwigs that I got off eBay. I also got a P32 and the Gibraltar die cast hoops off eBay. I used an old set of Ludwig wires I had.

I haven't really played it yet, but it sounds really good when I tapped on it a bit. I have the heads and wires pretty tight. I will probably play with the tuning and see what I can get out of it. I may need to get a new set of wires as well. I had to put a good bit of tension on them to keep them from buzzing every time I touched the batter head. I'm sure it's gonna have a pretty good range.

As you can see, I used cigar box labels and binding paper on the interior. I thought that would be a nice touch. The few people I have shown it to thought that was pretty neat to add in. As you can see in the last two pictures, I couldn't resist the urge to bring it by the local cigar shop and snap some pics of it in the humidor. Cigar folks call single cigars "sticks," so I thought it fitting to get a picture of two "sticks" laid across the batter head.

Well, that's about it. I hope you all like it. If you have any questions or want to see more pictures (I have close-ups of each panel), I'd be happy to respond accordingly.

Lynn

5 attachments
I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 11 years ago

unique looking drum !!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

Lynn that's outstanding. I love the shots in the cigar store!! Very cool. I'm glad you, Jeff and Bill were able to work together on it. Such a classy look to it. Enjoy it! ;)

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

That is one bad ass drum!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

Great team effort there, looks outstanding!!.

I now know what to do with 1000 or so matchbook covers that have been gathering dust for 70+ years.

Thanks for the inspire and pics.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 11 years ago

"HOLEY SMOKE's " Lynn,

That is beautiful, I love the inside shell detail... Congratulations to each of you Guys involved in this project...

Great Team Effort...

Cheers,

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 11 years ago

Il bet the guys at the cigar shop thought it was pretty darn cool!

Lynn, dont forget to let that baby cure for another month before you play it hard. That finish is with in its specs but still pretty thick.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 11 years ago

WOW....

Don't really know what to say! This drum leaves me speechless!!

Lynn, when you first started talking about this several months ago I never imagined the finished product would turn out like this!!

GREAT DRUM!!

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here