Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.85804%

Chrome Ludwig Vistas?

Hey, guys.

A student of mine brought me a kit to "fix up" for him, clean and return to playable condition. Here's the thing. It's a chrome covered clear vistalite bass and 16" tom (with some recovered pearl fiberglass toms to round out the set) from the 70's, b/o badge, all correct hardware, etc. Did ludwig make a chrome covered vista set, or was this rewraped? The badge appears to never have been off the kick, but I swear I can see imprints of the lug gaskets under the chrome wrap, from the inside of the shell. Also, the chrome isn't sticking very well to the shell... I've had some chrome covered slingerlands from the same era where you couldn't torch the stuff off! not that I've tried... ;)

Posted on 15 years ago

Ludwig sometimes did this with the extra vistas. If the wrap is really beat I would tell the kid to make a choice of a transparent kit or a chrome looking one.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

Ever removed the chrome wrap from a vistalite shell? How?

Posted on 15 years ago

If the chrome "isn't sticking very well", I would think that you could just pull it off. Maybe apply a little heat to help, but you don't need to worry about tearing plies on these. I would try to make sure the shells are in decent enough shape before removing the wrap. But then again, you can always rewrap.

Cleaning up the remaining glue will probably be the worst part - I don't know what Goo Gone, and stuff like it, does to acrylic. Otherwise, you could just polish, with Novus or the like, until it's all gone.

Good Luck!

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]OMG that sounds like a real NIGHTMARE ! Can you get some pics ?

What sorta idiot would do THAT (wrap vistas in chrome, that is )?

Is it glued on...taped, etc.

The problem becomes...if the glue is not loose...do you use heat to loosen it ? Did the glue, assuming it's synthetic, have some sort of reaction with the lucite shells ?

Then as Leray says..w.hat do you remove the residue with ? So it doesn't also react with the lucite. I have used an acetone-based solvent on lucite before...straight acetone or "Oops" remover. DON'T do it. It eaves "cloud" marks which I could never get out.

Hmmmm....a very interesting situation.

I suppose I would try a heat gun (Paint stripping gun) very moderately and see if the chrome lifts....to start.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here