Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Christmas came early...

Hello there,

already received my present for this christmas - and OsakaBop was my :Santa:!

Many, many thanks out to him, he´s such a nice and obliging person to deal with!Yes Sir

Some of you might have been wondering what happened to his 60´s Star kit he re-wrapped in green satin flame last year and offered for sale here this year. - Well, it found it´s way from Japan to Germany!

So I got my third vintage MIJ drum set this way, the second that has thin shells w/re-rings. It´s 20-12-14-14. Those nice little tubbies sing, and the snare sounds incredible! Although it´s not original (wrap and lugs) I´m very happy with this setWalking

Greets, Jurgen

5 attachments
Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny! FZ
Posted on 12 years ago

Very nice indeed!!...Gotta love those old kits.Isin,t it great this forum has control over the MIJ resale market?DOH....I,ve said to muchWalking

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 12 years ago

WOW! Merry Christmas for you!

That's a 'Green Machine'! (Or a 'Green Hornet', you get to pick! lol)

Mucho mojo goin' on there...

fishwaltz
Posted on 12 years ago

Lissy -- nice drums!!

Fish -- aren't you up awful early?

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

nice kit Jurgen. The Yammies are looking good too. I have just bought a very similar kit that I'm yet to see in person. I'll post pics when i have it next week.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 12 years ago

Beautiful drums! I'll bet they sound as sweet as they look.

Merry 'early' Christmasx-mas1

Brian

'65/'66 Slingerland Stage Band in Red Sparkle Pearl
'67 Rogers Buddy Rich Headliner in Blue Sparkle Pearl
'49 WFL 6.5x14 Contest Snare
'55 Slingerland 7x14 Hollywood Ace Snare
'70's Premier PD2000 5x14 Snare
50's & 70's Zildjian/Paiste Cymbals
Posted on 12 years ago

From billnvick

Lissy -- nice drums!!Fish -- aren't you up awful early?

HA! Yep Bill, I sure was. Got up at four to play on the ham radio.

Merry Christmas buddy!

fishwaltz
Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you so much for your nice comments, guys!Bowing

Also merry Christmas to each and all of you out there!:Santa:

Faray:

I´m so curious to see the pics of your Yammies!Jump For Joy

Does it have the thin shells also? I´d like to know when Yamaha made those and when they switched to the (6- or 9-ply?) thicker shells. Or if they did offer both at the same time. Do you have any clue? I just can´t date my Yammies exactly yet.

As far as I know they started making drums in ´67, just the year Star switched from the thin shells to the thicker ones obviously.

Greets, Jurgen

Posted on 12 years ago

Wow,those look great and very unique,I guess it it the combination of the retro wrap and modern looking lugs.

2 questions,

Are those Tama Lug Casings? If not what Brand?

Did the drums have to be re drilled/modified or did they fit the spacing?

Thanks for posting those,I like green drums.

Posted on 12 years ago

From eamesuser

Wow,those look great and very unique,I guess it it the combination of the retro wrap and modern looking lugs.2 questions,Are those Tama Lug Casings? If not what Brand?Did the drums have to be re drilled/modified or did they fit the spacing?Thanks for posting those,I like green drums.

Hi!

Thanks for your kind words!

To answer your questions:

The lugs indeed are Tama lugs, they were originally used on the "GranStar" series in the late ´80s. Those were next under the "ArtStar II" series, which had same shaped lugs in the connected end-to-end design ("Hi-Tension-Lugs").

Fortunately the almost paper-thin shells didn´t have to be drilled, the lugs fitted the original spacing perfectly. The only "issue", if you want to call it as one, is that the lugs were designed for much thicker shells. This means that the cast piece of the fitting threads is so long that tightening the lug to the shell is impossible without exact matching washers.

I´ve already been thinking about adding rubber cushions underneath the lugs - what Tama did originally on the GranStar - to stabilize it and to have more isolation from the shell.

Greets, Jurgen

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here