Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Choice Of Rogers' Snares

I'm kicking around the possibility of adding a vintage Rogers snare drum to my meager collection and might have the opportunity to purchase one of the following Cleveland-era drums: A 5x14 Spotlight Model in original Mardi Gras wrap or a 5x14 Holiday Model in original Wine Red Ripple wrap. Both drums have the original bread & butter lugs.

If I do decide to grab one of these it will be as a "collectible" not as a "player" since I've already got two Cleveland-era Powertones (Champagne Sparkle & Silver Sparkle) for that purpose.

It looks like the Holiday snare would probably cost me about $50 more than the Spotlight. I'd appreciate some feedback as to which one might be considered the "better buy" assuming that both are in the same condition, both cosmetically and functionally with no major issues in regard to hardware or finish.

Is one of the these wraps considered significantly more "desirable" than the other to collectors? After my loving offspring plot me in the ground someday and decide to re-sell the drums would one have a significantly higher re-sale value than the other?

Since I can't seem to find too many of these in the identical wraps and models that I'm considering could anybody provide a guess as to what might be considered a "fair market value" for either of these drums?

As usual, thanks in advance for your time and your input!

Posted on 14 years ago

Have all the Rogers' gurus gone on vacation?

Posted on 14 years ago

Hello! I'm no Guru, but I love the Rogers!

I'd say those wraps are in a dead heat for the highest bid...

Both are rare finishes; not sure which they actually made fewer of...

However, if the mardi gras is a wood DynaSonic- thats the one for you! very very rare; maybe a few hundred were made.

Just got the Red Wine Ripple myself. 1967, 5x14, 8x12 and 20x14(yes!), absolutely beautiful. I need the floor tom- I know that will require a miracle-keeeeep huntin, right?!

Ok! first post! good luck with the snare!

Posted on 14 years ago

Its a toss up!

I would personally get the WRR Holiday just because of the 8 lugs, but...Mardi Gras is super sweet too...and probably technically rarer. I would pick whichever one has no cracked lugs I guess.

I have a Spotlight Wine Red Ripple snare. I am not sure how that fits into this equation...but...I guess if I had a MG Holiday as well we would have mirror oposites going!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Guerrilladubber-I had the same set up and searched for almost 3 years for a spare floor tom (that I could afford). Gave up in hopes of finding a complete kit someday (that I can afford). Welcome

Posted on 14 years ago

I know, it seems like that floor tom is hard to come by. I'm picturing myself finding it where I least expect it! never give up hope!

Posted on 14 years ago

Interesting question. Both finishes are desirable. The mardi gras is a six lugger, and that will hold the value down. The WRR is a nice piece, but the b&b lugs will sentenance it to someone's display shelf unless they put repro lugs on it. Bottom line, don't think your heirs will be getting too rich off of either down the road.

Posted on 14 years ago

ALL:

THANKS for the feedback but this is a somewhat "ancient" post that somehow got resurrected. I ended up passing on both snares, although I did pick up a Rogers WRR kit (minus the snare, of course). If anyone's got the matching snare that they'd like to sell (at a reasonable price), feel free to drop me a PM.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here