Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Chinese-Made Tamas

Today, a set of Tama mini-tymps (MT68St) arrived which I had purchased from ebay. Although second-hand, they were in mint condition. I was very pleased. I thought they might provide a bit of variety to my vintage Stars which I use on a regular basis. The seller also enclosed the original tag with the bar code. On the bill, the words "Made in China" sttod out immediately. I play with vintage drums and know very little about modern Tamas. Does Tama outsourse to China for many of their products? Are some of the complete drum sets also made in China? Hardware? I know that the world has become a smaller place but, since when has this been happening?

Thank you.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey B.Yes even TAMA has had to succumb to the cheap labor market for their lower end kits and certain parts in able to remain competitive. All of today's drum "makers" are outsourcing their low end stuff in order to stay in the market. It sucks yes but the reality is even in China labor rates are going up, making the world a better place by forcing costs up, which in turn will make all markets conform to a global revival of local manufacturing. This is the third, or maybe fourth, generation of high end musical equipment, making for even better goods. Our tastes tend to run to the second and third generation of these goods, meaning to me that we share a unique enjoyment of an era that will never again be.

Let the flogging begin....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks very much, John. As always, your responses are informative, well- thought out and very positve in nature. You have a vast amount of knowledge which you share freely with others. In my opinion, you are one of the most discerning gentleman this forum has the honour of calling a member. I sincerely appreciate all you do for me and for others. I hope that you and your loved ones have a wonderful Christmas, John!!!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Salty,

kudos on your comments for jonni!

Possible for you to throw up a picture of those mini timps? I would be very interested in finding something like that for the situations I play in.

Very high end Tama products are still made in Japan. The now ubiquitous "Star Classic" line was made in Japan up until a few years ago. I have a five year old Star Classic kit "Made in Japan" as the badges say.

All Tama's custom work is still handled in Japan. As jonni says though, in his reference to market trends and manufacturing, some of the Chinese product made now, may become, in 30-40 years the collectibles of tomorrow, just as MIJ of the sixties has found today, a place in the hearts of collectors... a possibility?

I play a Chinese made birch Sonor 2005 series kit that I just love and I know it will endure into the future because of its quality. It could become a collectible of the future as will many MIC (made in China) kits. MIJ + MIC

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here