Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Chicago Drum Show

So I'm seriously considering going to the Chicago Drum Show this yea (finally)and wanted to get some feedback from those of you who've attended in prior years. Are there any "must sees" at the show? Any "great deals" to be had? Also, are there any restaurants, clubs, attractions of any sort in the area, since if I do attend I'll be staying overnight before returning home?

THANKS in advance for your input!Help2

Posted on 15 years ago

If you get there early enough there are some deals. They have some clinics with some reputable drummers. I went a few years ago on the last day and wasn't impressed. I was not looking to buy anything in particular but if I was and went early the first day that would probably change. Steve Maxwell had Peter Erskine come back to his shop in the city and perform with his trio. He popped for pizza and beer for everyone there, it was real cool. They set up in the area outside his shop, which is located in one of the coolest old buildings in Chicago. If you are looking to buy you should be there by Friday morning, thats when I think it opens. If you are just comming to look Steve Maxwell has some of the coolest kits at his shop, make sure you make a side trip.

Posted on 15 years ago

There's every chain hotel and restaurant near the show. The show is in St. Charles, so for "culture" you'd probably head to Chicago.

The best "deals" are found usually on Sunday afternoon, close to the end of the show. Walking around, the prices often seem high...great deals are also found Friday night, before the show, with a VIP pass.

There are usually good deals on cymbals (and a vast selection), vintage parts, and also new and custom drums, parts and accessories.

I've been going since the second show, many years ago...now I go more to see the other vintage drum friends I've made, and to see the clinics, which all usually real good to amazing.

One bit of advice, is, if you see something you want, buy it! Every year I leave and think I should have gotten this or that...and often regret not buying something. There's so much stuff there that it gets overwhelming...if you would see any one of the snares or sets in a local store near you you'd grab it, but when you see so many together they don't seem as special. Try to look past that.

Even if you don't buy anything, there's acres of drums and drummers...only one thing could be better!

Posted on 15 years ago

I guess the best deals meaning price would be Sunday towards the end but I think it would be the other way around whereas "The early bird gets the worm". Anything I would have been interested in was gone by Sunday. Just my two cents.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here