Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Chicago Drum Show -- "a Few Questions"

I've never attended the Chicago Drum Show but have made my reservations to do so this year. I'm trying to obtain some "honest" feedback from those of you who have attended in the past to see if it's worth the trip and money to head out to St. Charles next week-end. I'd appreciate it greatly if you could take the time to answer a few of the questions I've got below:

1. If you DON'T pay for the "V.I.P." pass for use on Friday night and early Saturday morning, is there really an opportunity to find any realistic "good deals" at this show?

2. I've been searching for a 1968 Ludwig 20" WMP bass drum with keystone badge WITH NO EXTRA HOLES for what seems to be a lifetime now. What do you believe would be my chances of finding one for sale at the show at a "reasonable" price?

3. Are there any vendors at the show selling painted bass drum heads with scenes similar to those found on the vintage drums from the 30s & 40s?

Answers to these questions as well as any other useful information regarding this show would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANKS in advance for your help!

Posted on 15 years ago

The most amazing deal that I saw was someone (non dealer) who walked in wanting to "get rid of an old kit so he could buy a modern kit for his son". The first guy to stop him as he walked through the door won.

It was an AMAZING Rogers Dayton,OH Blue Strata "top hat" set with a matching wood PowerTone snare and hardware. I think the price paid $1000.00 which by some standards isn't crazy cheap but this set was in near perfect condition and a beautiful odd shade of Blue Strata.

Not to say that there weren't great things to see all over but all the dealers know what they have and want standard money for it. I went 2 years ago and I had a really good time.

Sorry that I didn't answer a single question but I thought I would chime in.

Isaac

Posted on 15 years ago

I went two years ago and there were some deals still left, I went on the morning of the last day. But I think if its something specific you want you might want to go early. There was a bunch of great stuff at one area that was already sold, just waiting to get picked up. If there is not the bass you are looking for you could possibly find someone who could get you one. I know there were a couple of guys who had bass drum heads, not sure if they were painted or just printed . A bit overwhelming for one day. If I was lookng for something I would get there early.

Posted on 15 years ago

I did an article for NMSD recently titled "Chicago Drum Show and Tell"

If your going to the show with expectations then you might be disapointed. If your going to have a good time, be around drums and see some great clinics then you will have a great time.

It's when your not looking for the exact item that you will find it.

I would bet that this years consignment section will be larger then most since more drums will come in off of the street. Your chances are good there will be lots of cool vintage drums. Drums walk in off the street throughout the day and all weekend! Every time you pass the consignment there will be different drums!

The chances of finding the exact drum is where the expectations will let you down from a great show experience.

I will be at the show and moving around from a few booths. The NSMD article was really focusing on why many people go to the show and it has a lot do with just being around drums and the people that play them.

Talk to the people in the booths and let them know what you are looking for and make some connections with some of the dealers. After the show they might come across the item you need! Or they have it in their inventory as an item they did not bring or will think about selling later.

So I say go to the show with the intention of hopefully finding that item or two, but to network with the dealers and talk drums with people that have the same passion as you.

On that level the show is so much more rewarding and you will begin to make friendships that will carry over from year to year and a big part as to why that show is so special to so many people.

I find something every year to buy! whether it is an old catalog, photo, and or drum I never come home empty handed! I also make new friends and have a handful of business cards to go through when I get back.

David

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here