Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

CB-700 snare

Do any of you own the CB-700 Free Floating snare drum? According to my research CB-700 actually owned the patent to the free floating design and they made the drums along with the Pearl FF's in the same factory. The drum I used to have was a great drum. It was basically like the ones Pearl makes now but the tube lugs seemed better and the butt and the throw-off side bridges were adjustable with spring tensioners. I had the 6.5x14 drum with a maple shell. The original Pearl FF drums were virtually the same except the throw-off lever had Pearl cast on it instead of CB-700. I know a lot of my friends were like poo pooing the drum because it was a cb until they played it. It was definitely a conversation piece just because of the story I just mentioned. If you have a chance on eBay, pick one up cheap if you ever wanted a Pearl FF but thought they were too expensive. It's the same drum.

The link is just to give you an example.

http://www.indieguide.com/gear/view/623272/In_Store_Used_USED_CB700_55X14_COPPER_FREE_FLOATING_SNARE_Standard

Gretsch Nitron Glass New Classic 2010 8/10/12/14/16/22
Yamaha Cherry Wood Recording Custom 1987/2005 8/10/12/13/14/16/22
Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl 1966 5x14 S.S./13/16/22
Gretsch wood finish 1959 5x14/13/16/22
Slingerland Radio King Capri Pearl 5x14 Radio King
Gretsch Silver Sparkle Catalina Club Bop 2008 18/14/12/10/5x14
Gretsch Silver Sparkle/Black Stripe Catalina Club Mod kit 22/10/12/16
Posted on 13 years ago

Pearl actually builds virtually all of Kaman/CB drums in their Taiwan facility, and Pearl actually owns the patents and licenses it to them, with whatever menu items of options they prefer to differentiate themselves from one another. That is why almost all of the last 20 years of Kaman/CB-700 and Internationale look identical. Kaman ended up with many of the stencil contracts from the 70s, killing off all the old names. It makes no sense to me why one would kill them off since direct competition was one of the best parts of the old stencil game. A sales rep could lock up all of the music stores on the same town by direct competition with his own product. Kaman now just builds a few of the old names, Dixon being one of them, and now they have revived Astro and maybe one or two of the others. Too bad they don't do it the old fashioned way, but then there is the cost of badges and printed materials under many different names for the same goods.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

I thought it was the other way around on the patent thing. I read that in a few places but I don't know for sure. So did Pearl make the Legend drums for Kaman? I wouldn't mind owning a set of those. We almost bought some at the studio I used to manage. We got Yamaha Maple Customs instead. Ahh the good old days. Thanks for the info jonnistix.

Gretsch Nitron Glass New Classic 2010 8/10/12/14/16/22
Yamaha Cherry Wood Recording Custom 1987/2005 8/10/12/13/14/16/22
Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl 1966 5x14 S.S./13/16/22
Gretsch wood finish 1959 5x14/13/16/22
Slingerland Radio King Capri Pearl 5x14 Radio King
Gretsch Silver Sparkle Catalina Club Bop 2008 18/14/12/10/5x14
Gretsch Silver Sparkle/Black Stripe Catalina Club Mod kit 22/10/12/16
Posted on 13 years ago

From drummingbulldog

I thought it was the other way around on the patent thing. I read that in a few places but I don't know for sure. So did Pearl make the Legend drums for Kaman? I wouldn't mind owning a set of those. We almost bought some at the studio I used to manage. We got Yamaha Maple Customs instead. Ahh the good old days. Thanks for the info jonnistix.

I am not certain about those Legends. It would make sense that since they are about the only real stencilor of Pearl left these days that Pearl would have made the shells at least, but I don't think Kaman has or had production facilities, but more warehousemen than builder. Since St Louis Music Supply is nothing more than a shell company today and I believe Kaman owns all their rights, it is another Gibraltar company, no?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Great info! I'm new here but have lurked here and there but this time I have to get certified!

I just picked up a 6.5 x 14 the other day, it was beat to crap and missing a few parts. I took it apart and buffed everything ...even the clear coat on the brass shell was removed, dings removed and sanded. I need to buff the shell a little more to get it mirror...I know it will tarnish if i don't clear it but for the price i paid I can care less! I bought it from a guy who used to run Tommy Lee's studio back in the day. He said it was more than likely Tommy's snare....who knows, but after a day working on this bad boy it turned out beautiful! I was wondering if parts were available for the butt end, it's missing the tensioning screw and I have put a wing nut on there for the time being, also missing is one rod used for adjusting the height of the snare wires so I dont have either on right now. If nothing is out there I will just fab an adjustable butt using some spare parts in my junk drawer. So here he is...saved from the crusher!

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/33mu3pc.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/b8vg2d.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 12 years ago

Sweet find!

Pleased to meet you!

fishwaltz
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks fishwaltz! I love this drum.

Posted on 12 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I just came across one of these drums! It's a 6.5"x14" maple shell CB700 and says "Made in Japan." It has lots of pitting and needs a bolt on the throw off, but for $40 I think it was a steal!! ..especially when it came with an old Ludwig basket stand and a 12" Zildjian A splash.

I'll clean it up soon and post some photos of the before and after.

-Justin

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here