Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

Carlton Snare Drum - Bargain???

Hi everyone, first post here.....

Just a query regarding Carlton Dallas London marching snares.

I have the opportunity to grab three of these marching snares from a second hand store down the road from me, for $20 (australian) each.

I know nothing about these drums and have no pic's...

They are black, with long tension lugs, top and bottom snares, reinforced shells.

They look like they are 14" diameter and maybe 10 or 12 deep?

I have spent the evening researching this brand and have come up with all the usual info about their history with Hayman etc. but i can't find any info as to the potential value of these drums (if any).

they are in reasonably good condition, nothing a little tlc wouldn't fix. New skins and some chrome polish perhaps.

Just wondering if someone can give me an opinion as to whether these drums are worth buying, if i can expect a half decent sound out of them etc.

Cheers in advance,

Nath

Posted on 13 years ago

Sounds like an absolute bargain to me, go for it. I'm absolutely not an expert on marching snares, but I'd wager that you will get a great sound. They are really, really well made drums, and well underpriced...

Posted on 13 years ago

For 20 apiece,you could flip 2 and keep one for free,or clean them up and make a profit on top of it.Sounds like a worthwhile inexpensive project.One might work as a 14 tom on a mongrel/jelly bean kit also.

Posted on 13 years ago

From Big Nath

Hi everyone, first post here.....Just a query regarding Carlton Dallas London marching snares.I have the opportunity to grab three of these marching snares from a second hand store down the road from me, for $20 (australian) each.I know nothing about these drums and have no pic's...They are black, with long tension lugs, top and bottom snares, reinforced shells.They look like they are 14" diameter and maybe 10 or 12 deep?I have spent the evening researching this brand and have come up with all the usual info about their history with Hayman etc. but i can't find any info as to the potential value of these drums (if any).they are in reasonably good condition, nothing a little tlc wouldn't fix. New skins and some chrome polish perhaps.Just wondering if someone can give me an opinion as to whether these drums are worth buying, if i can expect a half decent sound out of them etc.Cheers in advance,Nath

For that price, I'd be all over them.. if you get them and want to flip one, even at a profit, let me know. I'd be very interested.

Cheers

Posted on 13 years ago

Gawd, a no brainer

Posted on 13 years ago

These are superb instruments with second to none craftmanship and materials. Though not identical, I would compare the overall product to those pre-international Premier top of the line drums and drumsets made during the 1950's and early 1960's. Die-cast hoops, slotted tension rods, and at times pre-international sized metric drumheads. Birch shells with high level finishing of the interior. Extraordinarily beautiful European design of the castings and overall profile. Just make certain that you realize you're acquiring a European product and may encounter various size anomalies if ever having to replace parts or heads. Usually resale value is less than for the better known brand names, as Carlton products seemed to receive far less distribution outside of the UK. But in terms of quality of workmanship and design very few drum brands compare to any of the vintage British drum lines.

Posted on 13 years ago

i had one once ,and made a 14" floor tom out of it to go with a Beverley 3 piece. they are exceptionally well made drums and the floor tom did perfect duty with the 14,20,12 set. gold sparkle, telescoping bass mounted cymbal rod with tilter. nice little kit with charm and the Carlton floor tom ? it made it into a big bobtail.

Posted on 13 years ago

deal,do it!

mike

Posted on 13 years ago

If they're anything like this one that is a killer deal.

My wife bought me this one.....70's I think...for a Christmas gift a few years ago. Solid drum. The lugs are beautiful. This drum has gut reso snares and it came with Kevlar heads on it. The drum came in a nice - well used - canvas drum bag complete with John Gray key and a nice clip-on shoulder strap.

The top reso and batter heads have snares (first photo batter side snares).

These drums are solid and a very nice piece of drum history. For $20 a drum it's a bargain.

Posted on 13 years ago

Hi,

I bought a sweet BDP pipe band Carlton last year. The ad for it was headlined "Overplay Drum".

Sensing an "Everplay", I drove 60 miles. It was a Carlton, with hoops and lugs, but no throw mechs top or bottom. The plastic wrap on mine is pretty crazed, though not lifting. I did polish it up with Novus to a nice sheen. Then I threw some legs on it and it has become a delightful sounding floor tom for the basement mongrel kit.

They are awfully nice drums,

Patrick

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here