Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Carlton Marching Snare Question?

This drum came with the heads you see in the attached photos. It may have been made around early 1970's - maybe earlier - I'm not sure.

Can anyone tell me anything about the drum heads - they're very rigid.

Unfortunately I split the batter head near the hoop/crown area when I was tuning it....oops.

The drum included a shoulder strap, John Grey drum key and an old canvas drum bag. It even has the word 'red' penciled inside the drum..........probably at the factory to indicate what colour to do the finish. It's in great shape and a very solid drum.

Posted on 14 years ago

Yes the head is made out of Kevlar,heads are used on marching snares mosty,Remo still makes them today..back in the 1980s if i recall right a japanese company made them also but i can't recall the name.heads like this i have seem the wood shell of snare drums crashed before the head did...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago

NO - look at the logo on the head. These are 1960s NYLON heads used in the pipe band world back then. Now disappeared but I did hear they were made by someone in Blackpool, UK. These came 20 years before the Kevlar time, were more stretchy but sounded OK. A 1970s / 80s similar fabric head was made by CANASONIC. Nice drum but don't put a kevlar on it or it will collapse. An ordinary remo will do fine. This is a pipe band drum with the top snares and bottom gut - I played a Premier version in 1962. Carlton vanished in the 1960s.

Posted on 14 years ago

I don't think this drum will be crushing. But, I don't know much on "how" it was built - it just seems like a very sturdy drum with the re-rings and all.

I have a REMO Wheatherking Ambassador snareside (ebony) on it now and I did have a REMO Black Max on the batter (expensive and I didn't like it - I'm not in a marching band) but I took it off. I mostly got the black heads because they look nice on the Red Drum........

Here's some photos I took today showing the inside of the drum. Notice the re-rings.

That 'penciled in underlined' Red was probably there before it was finished in the factory.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here