Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Car wax on wrapped finishes?

Hello,

I usually do the Novus #2 or Plastix and Novus # 1 route on wrapped finishes and they always look great.

On lacquer finishes, after the initial cleaning to get all of the surface dirt off, I typically use furniture polish, then I go over it with Turtle Wax Carnuba Car Wax. It looks great on lacquer finishes and really makes them shine.

My question is:

Has anyone ever tried car wax on wrapped finishes? Is the wax safe to use on wrap? Does it leave a residue? Does it make the wrap extra glossy and shiny? Does it make fingerprints more noticeable? What are the advantages and disadvantages to using car wax on wrap? Any special prep other than normal?

I have two projects that I'll be polishing up soon, one is a black diamond pearl, the other is a blue glitter. I'm wanting to get some opinions on using car wax, or if I should stick to the tried and true Novus #2 & #1 method.

Thanks,

V

Posted on 7 years ago

I've used Novus and car wax. Both gave great results. No residue problems as long as you wipe them down good to get all the wax off of the shell.

Posted on 7 years ago

All the time any surface that's sealed you can use it

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 7 years ago

I always use a caranuba car wax on the shell wraps after Novus. Makes them shine and helps to keep the dust at bay a little more. Have also read that it helps with a slight UV sun protection, not too sure about that though. I use a Minwax finishing wax on my laquer shells

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

Carnauba here too. One grand blitz wax. Avoid any silicone at all costs.

Get a foam pad covered in microfiber for application. 99% of the world applies WAY too much wax. Buff it off with terrycloth turning frequently. Soft toothbrush cleans around the badges etc.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago

Yep, at least once a year, my shells get a good cleaning followed by Carnauba wax! Well worth the effort.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 7 years ago

I use Mothers California Gold Paste/Carnuba wax.

Posted on 7 years ago

I've found Meguiar's Color X to do an amazing job. Unfortunately, I've got to order it from Poland these days since I can't find a source here in the U.S. that supplies it.

Posted on 6 years ago

Yes, Liquid Turtle wax on my drum wrap and trim. It keeps fade at bay and rust from forming or returning in some cases.

Like J!m says, you can use too much, I put it on the cloth and wipe it on the drum.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 6 years ago

One major dislike I have of conventional waxes or sealants which you wipe on, and wipe off is their inherit qualities of leaving behind residues, and in regards to drum shells, this would be in areas around lugs, badges, tension rods, any and all hardware attached to shells.

In the instance of all hardware being removed, then it's really not a problem except for around badges-vent hole grommets.

Today, there's many great products that won't do this, and they're often referred to as "WOWA" products. Meaning "Wipe on-Walk away".

Autogeek Online carries such products made by companies such as Ultima (Ultima Paint Guard Plus), Optimum (Opti-Seal), and Autogeek carries a myriad of these types of products.

They are crystal clear liquid sealants as clear as water which apply very easily, a little goes a very long way, they are not prone to causing any yellowing, leave zero chaulky residues behind, and typically on a daily driver vehicle can offer 3-5 months of good protection. On drums or other instruments they'll surely last a whole lot longer.

They offer very nice slickness, and a very good level of what I'll call a hard sterile candy-apple type of gloss,/look whereas carnaubas usually create a warmer look.

Really like these two I mention above, I love them on vehicles as well, making protecting areas like door jambs, trunk lids, etc very easy to protect because of the absence of pesky residues left behind in every little nook and cranny.

Hope this helps.

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here