Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Canwood

Do you lads know about this small Canadian builder from yrs ago?..I am seeing his snare drums popping up now and then,

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

I think these were made in the praries by Fred. DOH

I can't remember his last name...maybe Pepper?

Anyway, I had a 13x5 snare in Natural Maple. It was a good drum with a sharp bearing edge. A friend has a five piece kit...jellybeaned gloss maple. Five different colours. Very nice sounding kit.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi,

I got one a few years ago. A nice used 13" that some idiot had painted inside and out with gold auto paint. Sounds terrific.Bright and crisp. Looks ugly, which is a pity because they had a good rep for their finishes. The formula was nothing too novel, offshore hardware, keller shells. Besides the finish, the primary disinction was a steeper than usual bearing edge (60 degrees maybe), definitely not a roundover.

Since then I have looked for more info. Probably the most extensive history I have read is on Drumsmith.

There was a period when they were carried by Long and McQuades in Canada and the quality and price points made them very popular.

Fred Popper apparently is back in business:

http://site.canwooddrums.com/Canwood_Home.html

That is about all I understand about Canwoods.

Patrick

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here