Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

Canadian prices unreal

Hey guys I have been shopping around for a vintage kit to add to my collection and the prices here in Canada are unreal. I looked at a Ludwig club date 12,14,20 with a jazz fest snare and the guy wants 1600 cdn. I also looked at a 60's Blue Oyster 12,14,20, and this guy wants 3500 cdn. Don't these prices seem excessive? Any ideas what they should be worth in cdn funds? Thanks for any help.

Posted on 15 years ago

It all comes down to condition. Are they kits mint and museum pieces? Are they nice player kits? Are they rotted out coat racks? It really comes down to that. A really nice museum piece can bring over two grand...not to me! I wouldn't pay that for something that I can get for less than half that with non-standard hoops and a scratch! Anyway, good Luddy kits are averaging in in the 700-1000 range lately. You can get 'em cheaper and you can pay way more. Shop wisely.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey,

As a Canadian I know exactly what you mean. I know vintage kits are a bit rarer in these parts but they are still around and there are some good deals to be had when the planets align. I have bought many vintage kits here and I think the most I ever paid was $400.00 and that was for a Luddy Standard blue strata kit with resacoat interiors and a 14" FT. At the time it would have been just over 300 bucks in greenbacks. As for $3500.00 for that kit no way and I believe I know the one you're talking about. Even if the Canadian peso was 50 cents on the dollar it's still too much. They will never sell. These ads are directed at drummers with little knowledge of vintage drums and hope to sucker some poor fool who thinks Ringo actually owned it. Even with the economy and the state it's in -tops they should go for is $1500.00 and that's in our currency which is trading at about 20% less. I see this all the time here on Craigslist and Kijiji and don't even bother looking any more. I'm all for people getting the max amount for their kit but within in reason and for that amount it better be Ringo's!

V

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the info guys I didn't think I was crazy. Vince182 you probably live in a bigger center than I do, I'm from Swift Current Saskatchewan so basically I have Regina or Saskatoon unless I drive 6 hrs to Calgary. Pickins are pretty slim around these parts lol. I appreciate the advice and will hope I stumble upon something in my travels, Brad.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here