Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Can you tell which of these floor tom legs is from the 60s??

I have two sets of Slingerland floor tom legs that I need some help identifying. I have one late 60s Slingerland floor tom and my old Slingerland set from the late 70s. Some time ago I stupidly stored the two sets of legs together and they are virtually identical. The only difference between the two sets of legs are the area at the top of the leg that is knurled and the shape of the rubber feet. One set (an example is shown at the bottom of the attached picture) of legs is knurled to the very tip of the leg and has smooth rubber feet. The second set of legs (the leg pictured at the top of the attached picture) has a knurled section at the top of the leg but the very tip is smooth. The rubber feet on the second set have ridges that run from the top to the bottom of the foot.

I am pretty sure set number one with the smooth feet is the set from the late 60s but I would like to make sure. So...Please cast your vote and if you have any examples to back it up please post them.

Thx

-scolner

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

I had a set from the late 60's, and I believe the leg on the bottom of the pic is older of the two.

Jeff
Posted on 14 years ago

Both my 70s FTs have legs like the bottom example

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

See....I'm no expert, I'm going by memory. I just recall the rubber feet looking like those on the bottom in the pic. Kevins probably alot more accurate then my memory..........seeing as I am in the early stages of alzheimers. (Just Kidding)

Jeff
Posted on 14 years ago

From Tubthumper

See....I'm no expert, I'm going by memory. I just recall the rubber feet looking like those on the bottom in the pic. Kevins probably alot more accurate then my memory..........seeing as I am in the early stages of alzheimers. (Just Kidding)

I have the advantage of having them right here in front of me....

otherwise it.....

Hello?..... Is that you Martha?..... Ah, Martha my dear.....Do come in...

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

:2Cents:+:2Cents:

One thing I'd say is that rubber feet, regardless of "period" variations, can be too easily swapped off. In other words, probably not the best thing to go by for dating purposes.

The legs from my mid '60s FT are straight 16" and the feet match your lower one. IF the feet on yours and mine are original, I'd say that the lower one is the older one. Also, unless I'm misqueaken, the curve angles of the lower leg in your pic are softer. I picked up an angled leg just like it once on eboy - it was posted as early '70s.

My twisted logic makes me think that the harder curves in your above version *may* represent a post-1970 "quality" shift in later Slingy's, as the more "square" angles seem a manufacturing short cut (easier to make?) - and maybe even the chrome work on the above looks a little less quality, as well as the leg's overall thickness seems slightly thinner. [although my mid-'60s straight legs seem a shade thinner to me]

BUT - I'm NO expert at all on Slingy history and any quality shifts (for better or worse) from era to era.

Just observin' & speculatin'

Lastly, the gnarling to the lower leg's top also matches my alleged early '70s ebaby purchase exactly. Perhaps the top one's lack of gnarls all the way up is another manufacturing 'cost cutter' ? Oooo, even your top pic's end is less rounded. All of my FT legs - 60s & the alleged early 70s one are rounded like your below pic - another vote for the lower one being earlier than the top one.

I wonder what was the 1st year that angled legs were offered.

A toughie Hmmmm

Ve gots to git more o' dees fine details into our IDing equation in general i stinkToilet

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here